* `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22  4:06 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-22  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why does:
`A M'
     List groups that match a regexp (`gnus-group-list-all-matching')

Give consistently wrong results?

In group buffer I have many groups that match this regexp:
nnml:[A-Z]

That is, nnml groups that begin with at least one capital letter.

However `A M nnml:[A-Z]' finds a conglomerate of groups
beginning with a-z and A-Z.

Apparently the alleged regexp matching is not case sensitive.

I wonder why it is necessary to spoil good regexp matching like that?
Most applications allow you to choose case insenstive with an -i flag
or similar and default to real (i.e. case sensitive regexp), or at
least have something sensible like mixed upper lower causing case
sensitivity.

Can I make `gnus-group-list-all-matching' case sensitive without
writing 5 acres of poor trial and error lisp or crawling thru 400 meters
of hot coals and broken beer bottles?

Shouldn't case sensitive, or at least the mixed upper lower control be
the default?  Why is it considered better to make case sensisitve
difficult?  Its not that hard to write regexp so that they are case
insensitive if one wants that.  But it is impossilbe to write a regexp
that is case sensitive if case insensitive is the default.

Regexp are designed to handle that need already, why mess that up?

* Re: `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22  4:37 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-10-22  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

[...]

> However `A M nnml:[A-Z]' finds a conglomerate of groups
> beginning with a-z and A-Z.
>
> Apparently the alleged regexp matching is not case sensitive.

C-h v case-fold-search <RET>

        Daniel

--
Television has brought back murder into the home -- where it belongs.
        -- Alfred Hitchcock

* Re: `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22  4:49   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-22  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

[...]

> Can I make `gnus-group-list-all-matching' case sensitive without
> writing 5 acres of poor trial and error lisp or crawling thru 400 meters
> of hot coals and broken beer bottles?

> C-h v case-fold-search <RET>
>
>         Daniel

Jeez, thats not even one shard of glass....

* Re: `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22  5:44     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-10-22  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Can I make `gnus-group-list-all-matching' case sensitive without
>> writing 5 acres of poor trial and error lisp or crawling thru 400
>> meters of hot coals and broken beer bottles?
>
>> C-h v case-fold-search <RET>
>>
>>         Daniel
>
> Jeez, thats not even one shard of glass....

Ah, yes, but does it work? It occurred to me, just after sending this,
that I hadn't actually tested it...

So, I am curious. Did it fix the problem?

        Daniel

--
Increasing numbers of private-sector companies are discovering the
efficiency of hiring bright undergraduates or recent graduates and

* Re: `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22  8:14 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-10-22  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Apparently the alleged regexp matching is not case sensitive.

See the variable case-fold-search.

kai
--
Lisp is kinda like tpircstsoP

* Re: `A M' gives consistently wrong results
@ 2001-10-22 14:13       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-10-22 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> Ah, yes, but does it work? It occurred to me, just after sending this,
> that I hadn't actually tested it...
>
> So, I am curious. Did it fix the problem?

Yes it did Daniel.  And the sad thing is I knew about that variable
but assumed it applied to `other' things.  I also broke the first rule
of a query/reply... I didn't try first either.

I still think case sensitive is a better default though.  With that
default at least the normal means inside regexp allow for case
sensitivity.