From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Prevent B c/B m from createing dups in target group
Date: 17 Aug 2001 12:45:23 -0700	[thread overview]

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Yeah.  But there is no predefined functionality in Gnus for doing
> > this, and I think it sounds like something of a non-problem.  :-)
> > When you suppress duplicate messages on group entry, you usually just
> > see one copy in any case, no matter how many are actually there...
>
> Well, but Harry is copying messages, and copying the same message
> several times doesn't make sense.
>
> The reason Harry is copying several times is because he sees an
> interesting thread, then possibly edits the messages in that thread,
> then he copies the messages into an archive group.  There's no way for
> him to (easily) see which messages were copied already.
>
> Hm.  Maybe a different approach is possible altogether?
>
> If it wasn't for the editing, saving the messages in the cache (via
> `*') would be enough.  Hm.

Hmm maybe, but would that still allow a grouping under an appropriate
named group.  That is, would I then be able to display a possibly
cross group collecton in a single buffer.  I think not, but not really
sure of all possibilites with cache.  I haven't used it since gnus
went agent.

Maybe something like this would serve the purpose:

cache special messages in there respective groups then run nnir on the
cache against the subject or other reference. Possibly an added
keywords header.

Hey, that sounds like it might be worthwhile.  Limiting nnir home to
just the cache.  I don't use glimpse or wais anymore on the full mail
news collection.  But it would be fast as a greased bullit against
just the cache.