* Prevent B c/B m from createing dups in target group
@ 2001-08-17 15:40 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-08-17 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ ALERT Repost from gnu.emacs.gnus - possible windbag length ]

There are those of us who do a fair amount of copying of messages from
one group to another.  Maybe editing beforehand or maybe not.  I keep
quite a few messages that I have added keywords header to in such
groups as nnml:t.security, or nnml:t.networking.  These groups catch
copies of posts or mail I thought to be particularly pertinent to the
subject and wanted to save for later reference.  Some times I edit them
sometimes not.

Some are whole threads that were copied a piece at a time as the
thread was developing.  Inevitabley there comes a point where you've
forgotten what has been copied and what not.  I found as many as four
layers of copies in some groups.  Partly due to absentmindedness but
also there is no built in functionality in gnus to prevent this.  Near
as I can tell.

I've often thought to try to figure out how to make gnus compare a
message ID or group of messages ids to those already in the group.
Most often (in my case) this would not be large numbers.  Probably
below 200 in nearly every case.

Some kind of hook to run when `B c' or `B m' is being used that would
initiate a function that took the message ID of message under point or
messages marked with # and compared each message id to those in the group.

I'd like to see a message that tells me some of these are duplicates and
offers to move only the unique ones or to go ahead with the dups as I wish.

Remberering from 4-5 years ago with gnus-agents' name sake Forte agent,
this was a feature in Forte agent.

Being generally lisp impaired, what I'm asking for here is general
outline of things to look into to get an understanding of what has to
happen to create this kind of functionality.

What functions to hook into.  In general terms, how to get started
coding something like this.

I can image writing such stuff in awk, not even very difficult in
plain shell scripting with korn/bash arrays and for loops.  But have
no clue how to pass the message-ids to such scripting and imagine it
would be smarter to use lisp functions for the tasks all the way
through.  Maybe no more complicated than telling gnus to keep a
Message-ID cache on per group basis, then code a comparison routine
that gets called by the user or is hooked into `B c', `B m'.

Any tips to get started or places to start po[ou]ring(?) over the code will
be appreciated.