* How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  0:11 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-09-25  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

How to capture the url in message such as this:
Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.

[-- Attachment #2: CaptureUrl.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 98265 bytes --]

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  1:24 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-25  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> How to capture the url in message such as this:
> Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
> way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.

<TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.

That sure looks like spam!

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  7:52   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-09-25  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

    Eric> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
    >> How to capture the url in message such as this:
    >> Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
    >> way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.

    Eric> <TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.

    Eric> That sure looks like spam!

From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
containing the links it finds in the selected article.

Robert

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  8:19     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-25  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 09:52, Robert Pluim wrote:
> From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
> containing the links it finds in the selected article.

Would you please tell us what 'w' is bound to for you?  My gnus is so
customised that I can never depend on bindings being what others
have.  For me, 'w' is bound to gnus-article-fill-long-lines...

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4 on Debian bullseye/sid

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  9:02       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-09-25  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: ding

    Eric> On Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 09:52, Robert Pluim wrote:
    >> From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
    >> containing the links it finds in the selected article.

    Eric> Would you please tell us what 'w' is bound to for you?  My gnus is so
    Eric> customised that I can never depend on bindings being what others
    Eric> have.  For me, 'w' is bound to gnus-article-fill-long-lines...

I have 'W w' burned into my muscle memory :-)

    w runs the command gnus-summary-browse-url (found in
    gnus-summary-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function
    in `gnus-sum.el'.

    It is bound to w, A w.

    (gnus-summary-browse-url &optional EXTERNAL)

      Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 27.1.

    Scan the current article body for links, and offer to browse them.

    Links are opened using `browse-url' unless a prefix argument is
    given: Then `browse-url-secondary-browser-function' is used instead.

    If only one link is found, browse that directly, otherwise use
    completion to select a link.  The first link marked in the
    article text with `gnus-collect-urls-primary-text' is the
    default.

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25  9:15         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-25  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: ding

On Friday, 25 Sep 2020 at 11:02, Robert Pluim wrote:
> I have 'W w' burned into my muscle memory :-)
>
>     w runs the command gnus-summary-browse-url (found in

I have w burned into mine... :-) thank you for the binding.

--

@ 2020-09-25 16:12     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-09-25 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     Eric> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>     >> How to capture the url in message such as this:
>     >> Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
>     >> way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.
>
>     Eric> <TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.
>
>     Eric> That sure looks like spam!
>
> From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
> containing the links it finds in the selected article.

Oh, I figured he actually wanted to copy it for some reason.

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25 16:28   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-09-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> How to capture the url in message such as this:
>> Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
>> way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.
>
> <TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.
>
> That sure looks like spam!

Thanks to all posters.

And I found that if one presses `w' on that message from Summary
buffer it actually activates the URL.

I understanding you were saying to press `w' from Article mode. And
that truly does capture the url.  Just what I was after, thx.

Eric, yes it is spam, this link below:

https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/erofile-a5bdb.appspot.com/o/roundcubess.html?alt=media&token=4dbc3ea4-875e-4f24-97fb-a34262b5a8a7#reader@newsguy.com

Can't tell what it tries to do

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25 16:35       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2020-09-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>     Eric> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>>     >> How to capture the url in message such as this:
>>     >> Mousing over the link shows the URL in echo area but there seems no
>>     >> way to copy it.  It just disappears if you try to mouse to it.
>>
>>     Eric> <TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.
>>
>>     Eric> That sure looks like spam!
>>
>> From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
>> containing the links it finds in the selected article.

Harry Responds:

That is not the behavior I see and far as I know I have no trick
changes in cmd sequences.

What I see when I press `w' on that message is summary buffer is that
it actually activates the URL and calls the web page.

Eric responded:
> Oh, I figured he actually wanted to copy it for some reason.

Right you are ... thanks again

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-25 17:51         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2020-09-25 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> That is not the behavior I see and far as I know I have no trick
> changes in cmd sequences.
>
> What I see when I press `w' on that message is summary buffer is that
> it actually activates the URL and calls the web page.

Yes, as the docs state (see the last paragraph):

w runs the command gnus-summary-browse-url (found in gnus-summary-mode-map),
which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘gnus-sum.el’.

It is bound to w, A w.

(gnus-summary-browse-url &optional EXTERNAL)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 27.1.

Scan the current article body for links, and offer to browse them.

Links are opened using ‘browse-url’ unless a prefix argument is
given: Then ‘browse-url-secondary-browser-function’ is used instead.

If only one link is found, browse that directly, otherwise use
completion to select a link.  The first link marked in the
article text with ‘gnus-collect-urls-primary-text’ is the
default.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: How to capture URL in messages like this one
@ 2020-09-26 14:13         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-09-26 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

    Harry> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

    Eric> <TAB> to get to the url, and "w" to copy it.
    >>>
    Eric> That sure looks like spam!
    >>>
    >>> From the summary mode you donʼt need to TAB, 'w' will pop up a buffer
    >>> containing the links it finds in the selected article.

    Harry> Harry Responds:

    Harry> That is not the behavior I see and far as I know I have no trick
    Harry> changes in cmd sequences.

    Harry> What I see when I press `w' on that message is summary buffer is that
    Harry> it actually activates the URL and calls the web page.

Indeed, I misunderstood what you were asking for. Of course if you
browse such an url using eww (and honestly, who doesnʼt?), then you
can use 'w' in the *eww buffer to copy the url :-)

Robert