* Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-01-18  0:33 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-01-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Just reading through the Gnus manual and noticed that we can get into
trouble by starting two non-slave Gnusae at once:
[[info:gnus#Slave%20Gnusae][info:gnus#Slave Gnusae]]

So, shouldn't `M-x gnus' automatically dispatch to `gnus-slave' in that
case?

-Dave

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-06  5:54 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-06  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Just reading through the Gnus manual and noticed that we can get into
> trouble by starting two non-slave Gnusae at once:
> [[info:gnus#Slave%20Gnusae][info:gnus#Slave Gnusae]]
>
> So, shouldn't `M-x gnus' automatically dispatch to `gnus-slave' in that
> case?

There are legitimate reasons to use two separate Gnus instances -- for
instance, if you want to "throw away" the reading results for some
reason or other.

Besides, I'm not sure we could reliably detect this situation.

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-07 15:57   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-02-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Fri Feb 05 2016, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> Just reading through the Gnus manual and noticed that we can get into
>> trouble by starting two non-slave Gnusae at once:
>> [[info:gnus#Slave%20Gnusae][info:gnus#Slave Gnusae]]
>>
>> So, shouldn't `M-x gnus' automatically dispatch to `gnus-slave' in that
>> case?
>
> There are legitimate reasons to use two separate Gnus instances -- for
> instance, if you want to "throw away" the reading results for some
> reason or other.

Sure, but that doesn't seem like a good default, does it?  You could
choose it explicitly.

> Besides, I'm not sure we could reliably detect this situation.

Look for a dribble file or something similar?

--
-Dave

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-08  5:18     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-08  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>> Besides, I'm not sure we could reliably detect this situation.
>
> Look for a dribble file or something similar?

A dribble file might be an indication...

But anyway, I'm not sure that this is something that should be done.
I'm often ssh-ing in from somewhere to read news on my home machine, and
starting a Gnus works just fine, even if one is already running.  You
just ... have to be careful not to let the older one overwrite the state
created by the new one.

But I guess that's what's Gnus slaves do, anyway...  But will the
"other" running Gnus detect the slave data automatically without doing
anything?

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-08 14:27       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-02-08 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

on Sun Feb 07 2016, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>>> Besides, I'm not sure we could reliably detect this situation.
>>
>> Look for a dribble file or something similar?
>
> A dribble file might be an indication...
>
> But anyway, I'm not sure that this is something that should be done.
> I'm often ssh-ing in from somewhere to read news on my home machine,
> and starting a Gnus works just fine, even if one is already running.
> You just ... have to be careful not to let the older one overwrite the
> state created by the new one.

Someone like you (meaning, just you) knows exactly how to do that
because they're familiar with all of the state management Gnus does.  I
think “ordinary users” shouldn't be expected to figure that out.

> But I guess that's what's Gnus slaves do, anyway...  But will the
> "other" running Gnus detect the slave data automatically without doing
> anything?

Only Lars can say!

--
-Dave

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-08 17:27       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-02-08 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Dave Abrahams, ding

> But I guess that's what's Gnus slaves do, anyway...  But will the
> "other" running Gnus detect the slave data automatically without doing
> anything?

That's the whole point of Gnus slaves.

(gnus) Slave Gnusae

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-09  4:16         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-09  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

>> But I guess that's what's Gnus slaves do, anyway...  But will the
>> "other" running Gnus detect the slave data automatically without doing
>> anything?
>
> Only Lars can say!

I haven't used the Gnus slave in decades.  :-)  But I think you're
right -- Gnus should start in slave mode if it manages to detect another
non-slave Gnus running.  Could you report this with `M-x
report-emacs-bug' as a wishlist item?

* Re: Auto-slave gnusae?
@ 2016-02-10 20:53           ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-02-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Mon Feb 08 2016, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

>>> But I guess that's what's Gnus slaves do, anyway...  But will the
>>> "other" running Gnus detect the slave data automatically without doing
>>> anything?
>>
>> Only Lars can say!
>
> I haven't used the Gnus slave in decades.  :-)  But I think you're
> right -- Gnus should start in slave mode if it manages to detect another
> non-slave Gnus running.  Could you report this with `M-x
> report-emacs-bug' as a wishlist item?

Done!

--
-Dave