* backup folders in imap server: agent ?
@ 2005-07-13 18:40 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2005-07-13 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I would like to backup some of my folders in my imap server.
I usually connect via the nnimap backend using the agent.

    - is  it possible  to   de-synchronise  the  agent  from  the
      server. That is I would  kill certain message on the server
      but they would stay in the agent? It seems that this happen
      if   I delete messages   with  another client like mozilla,
      however this seems insecure and not a real backup.

    - could I copy the folder say  to a local archive, in mozilla
      for example  it seems possible  even  to drop and drag  the
      imap folder to the local folders. However I don't want to
      read the local messages with mozilla, but with gnus. In
      this case what would be the best backend. So far I have
      downladed some message in the mbox format using
(setq gnus-default-article-saver 'gnus-summary-save-in-vm)
      but from that folders I cannot copy back messages, so I
      should use a different backend.

Can anybody give me and advice, what is the best procedure to
make a real backup of my imap folders and which backend to use,

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: backup folders in imap server: agent ?
@ 2005-07-25  8:40 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2005-07-25  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I would like to backup some of my folders in my imap server.
> I usually connect via the nnimap backend using the agent.

Is a manual method enough?  You can use any backend you like, for
example:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))

Then you can create a group nnml:backup.foobar.  Then you enter the
group nnimap:INBOX.foobar using C-u RET (shows all articles), mark all
the articles using M P a, then copy the marked articles over to the
nnml group just created using B c nnml:backup.foobar RET.

You could also move the articles instead of copying them (B m instead
of B c).  Not sure what you prefer.

Kai