From: Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>
Subject: Re: emulating mozilla's Label command
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:01:58 -0400	[thread overview]

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, cmg@dok.org wrote:
>> I glanced at the registry and it seems separating out the parent
>> threading functions from what directories the registry actually
>> watches might be desirable.
>
> I don't understand, sorry.

(defcustom gnus-registry-unfollowed-groups '("delayed" "drafts" "queue")
  "List of groups that gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent won't follow.
  The group names are matched, they don't have to be fully qualified."
  :group 'gnus-registry
  :type '(repeat string))

I could see not wanting splitting to follow those directories but
being able to label an article an article in drafts as a TODO task and
then pull that task out for as below.

>> It looks like the registry cache's enough to make the display of
>> labels straight from the registry easy.  Would the searching of the
>> registry for all things having a "label" data be prohibitive?
>
> Yes, but why would you?  You just need to look up the article of
> interest by message ID.

Wes Hardaker's thread about:
Wes> What I'd like would be a thread summary something like (badly
Wes> drawn, sorry):
Wes>
Wes> imap
Wes>  \- inbox
Wes>   \- family
Wes>     - Go to Mom's at 9
Wes>     - Help sister with her computer
Wes>   \- work
Wes>     - Write boss
Wes>     \- project1
Wes>      - submit report
Wes>
Wes> But the cool thing would be if each of the topics actually came
Wes> from a group name (imap.inbox, imap.inbox.family, imap.work,
Wes> imap.work.project1), ...  And if all the data was auto-gathered
Wes> from a specified list of folders to work on.

I'm convinced that the right hooks could create that later by just
storing the msgids that have labels.

Thanks Ted for the info on the registry, I'll update to CVS gnus and
try it out and see if I can get some summary commands working.
--
Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>
To err is human, to moo bovine.