* [news.software.readers] Re: Mozilla blamed for overload on newsservers
@ 1997-04-06 12:54 Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-04-06 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could we do something like this in Gnus?

There is a high-traffic group with 60 days expire I read daily, and
fetching the headers takes time, even though the server is on the
local network.

[ Just because Mozilla does it, doesn't mean it's bad. ]

From: Phil Peterson <phil@netscape.com>
Newsgroups: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Mozilla blamed for overload on newsservers
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:19:05 -0800

billy@mix.com wrote:

..snip..
> Well.. you folks seem to do pretty caching web pages, why aren't you
> caching this stuff too?  XOVER reads are a heck of a lot faster when
> one only requests what's new to them.  My feeling is this places the
> burden where it belongs, on the user's machine, not the server.  Yes
> this won't catch articles canceled in between reads and probably has
> some other problems - perhaps you could read in the new records first
> then go back and refresh the old data..?

Way ahead of you. Communicator/4.0 does cache header information on the
local disk. We only XOVER new stuff when you open the group.

In the 2.x/3.x newsreader, there was no local header cache, so Show All
Messages had to go XOVER every article in the group. This is not the
case in 4.0.

-- Phil.