* POP3 and SMTP...
@ 1997-02-28 11:53 Donald Hunter
From: Donald Hunter @ 1997-02-28 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got a hack similar to Rich Pieri's nnmail-pop3-movemail to
get pop3-movemail working with nnmail.  The problem is that my
spool is set up like this:
(setq nnmail-spool-file
      '("/var/mail/dhunter" "po:atlserver"))
Nnmail tries to use pop3-movemail to do the standard mail as
well, of course.  My cursory glance at the code suggests that a
fair bit of nnmail.el would have to be rewritten to support
different movemails for different spools.  Could this go on the
requested feature list ?
I've also got a hacked version of smtpmail.el from Emacs 19.34 to
work with message.el in XEmacs 19.14.  Are there plans to merge
smtpmail functionality into Gnus ?   Will message.el become the
standard mail mode in time ?
Cheers.
--
Donald Hunter,                         mailto:dhunter@atl.co.uk
Atlantech Technologies Ltd.                http://www.atl.co.uk

[-- Attachment #2: PIC14506.PCX --]

* Re: POP3 and SMTP...
@ 1997-02-28 20:27 ` Paul Franklin
From: Paul Franklin @ 1997-02-28 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > I've got a hack similar to Rich Pieri's nnmail-pop3-movemail to
 > get pop3-movemail working with nnmail.  The problem is that my
 > spool is set up like this:
 > (setq nnmail-spool-file
 >       '("/var/mail/dhunter" "po:atlserver"))
 > Nnmail tries to use pop3-movemail to do the standard mail as
 > well, of course.  My cursory glance at the code suggests that a
 > fair bit of nnmail.el would have to be rewritten to support
 > different movemails for different spools.  Could this go on the
 > requested feature list ?

If Lars doesn't do this, I'm sure someone else (maybe me) will; I
sketched one idea for doing this a while back which basically creates
mail spool backends, and I'm not the only one to mutter about doing
similar changes in the next development cycle.

--Paul

* Re: POP3 and SMTP...
@ 1997-03-01  0:02   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-03-01  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Franklin <paul@cs.washington.edu> writes:

>  > I've got a hack similar to Rich Pieri's nnmail-pop3-movemail to
>  > get pop3-movemail working with nnmail.  The problem is that my
>  > spool is set up like this:
>  > (setq nnmail-spool-file
>  >       '("/var/mail/dhunter" "po:atlserver"))
>  > Nnmail tries to use pop3-movemail to do the standard mail as
>  > well, of course.  My cursory glance at the code suggests that a
>  > fair bit of nnmail.el would have to be rewritten to support
>  > different movemails for different spools.  Could this go on the
>  > requested feature list ?
>
> If Lars doesn't do this, I'm sure someone else (maybe me) will; I
> sketched one idea for doing this a while back which basically creates
> mail spool backends, and I'm not the only one to mutter about doing
> similar changes in the next development cycle.

I definitely will be writing something like this for Quassia Gnus
(unless someone writes it before I get around to it).

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen