* Picons recursion bug in sgnus
@ 1996-05-22  6:31 Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1996-05-22  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just recently started using the picons option with XEmacs 19.13,
sgnus-0.89. I have one group with locally-generated mail, and picons
dies on this with exceeding 'max-lisp-eval-depth'. The debugger output
appended below shows what happens. I guess the culprit really is the
From: line (I've also appended the header of one of the messages
below). However, picons should be able to deal with this in a more
elegant way.

Hans

--- debugger output ---
  etc...
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-picons-reverse-domain-path("Hans de Graaff <J/J/deGraaff>")
  gnus-article-display-picons()
  run-hooks(gnus-article-display-hook)
  gnus-article-prepare(261 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(261)
  gnus-summary-first-unread-article()
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnml:mail.system-operation" nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil nil nil)
  gnus-topic-read-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-read-group)

--- message header
From: Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 01:43:57 +0200 (MET DST)
To: graaff@duticai.twi.tudelft.nl
Subject: mirror update

--
Hans de Graaff                              J.J.deGraaff@TWI.TUDelft.NL
Delft University of Technology        Department of Information Systems

* Re: Picons recursion bug in sgnus
@ 1996-05-22 19:53 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-22 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans> From: Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff>

This looks like a bogus From: line.  The stuff within the angle
brackets must have an ``@'' sign somewhere, according to RFC822.
That's still no excuse for a crash though.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Picons recursion bug in sgnus
@ 1996-05-23  6:19   ` Hans de Graaff
From: Hans de Graaff @ 1996-05-23  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Hans> From: Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff>
>
> This looks like a bogus From: line.  The stuff within the angle
> brackets must have an ``@'' sign somewhere, according to RFC822.
> That's still no excuse for a crash though.

As Lars mailed to me, the crash has been fixed in sgnus-0.91. Thanks.

I'll track down our system administrator today, and see what he has to
say for himself :-)

Hans
--

@ 1996-05-23 14:38     ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-05-23 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff@TWI.TUDelft.NL> writes:
> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
> > Hans> From: Hans de Graaff <J.J.deGraaff>
> >
> > This looks like a bogus From: line.  The stuff within the angle
> > brackets must have an ``@'' sign somewhere, according to RFC822.
> > That's still no excuse for a crash though.
>
> I'll track down our system administrator today, and see what he has to
> say for himself :-)

He doesn't have to say anything. :-)  If I recall correctly, the
message you supplied was sent from a local user.  As such, you can't
take it to the sysadmin as violating 822.

822>     Note:  This standard is NOT intended to dictate the internal for-
822>            mats  used  by sites, the specific message system features
822>            that they are expected to support, or any of  the  charac-
822>            teristics  of  user interface programs that create or read
822>            messages.

Sendmail has an option to canonicalize local addresses, but it's not
on by default:

[from cf/README]
always_add_domain
                Include the local host domain even on locally delivered
                mail.  Normally it is not added unless it is already
                present.

-Sudish "will quote for food" Joseph