Eric Abrahamsen writes: > Rainer M Krug writes: > >> <#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign> >> >> Steinar Bang writes: >> >>>>>>>> Rainer M Krug : >>> >>>> Now that I can search gmane (perfect - love it!) I can't search my >>>> local imap server via notmuch anymore - any suggestions how I can >>>> achieve both via nnir or "G G"? >>> >>> One way would be to replace >>> (nnimap . imap) in nnir-method-default-engines with >>> (nnimap . notmuch) >> >> I had >> >> ,---- >> | '(nnimap "Maildir" >> | (nnimap-stream shell) (nnimap-shell-program >> | "/usr/local/opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/imap -o >> | mail_location=maildir:$HOME/Maildir") >> | (nnir-search-engine 'notmuch))) >> `---- >> >> in my gnus file, but it produced an error message. >> I am just trying your suggestion, and I get the following: >> >> ,---- >> | notmuch args: search --format=text --output=files hallo >> | Massaging notmuch output...done >> | Search produced empty results. >> | gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced empty results. >> `---- > > For a while I ran notmuch and imap configured like this, and got a lot > of the same problems, because I was a bit confused about how all the > bits and pieces interacted. I think the problem is that notmuch returns > its hits based on filesystem paths. These paths don't necessarily match > up with how imap locates its messages, though -- things like mailboxes > transformations and namespaces can mean that imap sees the location of a > message in a way that doesn't jive with the filesystem path. This might be the reason - makes sense. As I want to use dovecot to access my email stored in maildir (for notmuch, as this is not modifying thew mails when only used for searching), I think I can not use it this way. Makes perfect sense. > > If you've got multiple Gnus backends in effect, another awkwardness is > that notmuch will probably return all the hits from all backends, > whereas nnir will attempt to filter out anything that doesn't belong to > the group/server from which you initiated the search. I have only the local imap and gmane. > > I don't know all the grisly details, or whether it could be made to > work: when I realized what was happening I just stopped using notmuch > as a nnir engine for nnimap messages. I think I will do the same here. > Now I have a Frankenstein search setup, using notmuch-search by > itself, and the imap nnir engine, in parallel. Sounds like the best solution - and then just bind notmuch-search to a keyboard shortcut. > I'm shifting over to using nnir only, and will eventually get rid of > notmuch. I tried the normal search on y imap folders, and it is incredibly slow (folders with 10 000 and more emails). Also, my archive is split into years, and a topic can span two years - so the normal imap search is not an option for me here. > > Not very helpful, I know, but I think there are fundamental > incompatibilities in specifying notmuch as a nnir engine for imap > servers. In contrast - quite helpful, as I understood why it is not working to use notmuch for an imap backend. And as my setup is running nicely, I do not intend to change it. Thanks a lot, Rainer > > Eric > > > -- Rainer M. Krug email: Rainerkrugsde PGP: 0x0F52F982