On 2014-08-07 04:16, david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes: >> The problem may be a missing autoload somewhere. If I had the following >> to my init file, then I can start gnus. > >> #+begin_src emacs-lisp >> (autoload 'gnus-get-text-property-excluding-characters-with-faces "gnus-util") >> #+end_src > >> Should this be considered a bug? If so, where do I report it? > > Perhaps my earlier inquiry didn't get through. It did, but as I found a way around the bug, I did not reply, sorr. > Any chance you are running on Fedora 19 or later? No, I'm on OS X. > I encountered what I think is the same issue about this time last > year. Fedora delivers a site-start.el file that results in an older > version of gnus-util to be loaded at startup, prior to .emacs, thereby > overruling any load-path fixes you might make there. I reported it to > RedHat but never did get a response. My solution is to remove that > site-start.el. For historical context see > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83524 and the > follow up thread > http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/83565 I've looked at the site-start.el files (both from the provided emacs and from my homebrew installation) and they do not mention gnus-util. I've started emacs with the '-q' option and I don't see it in the features variable. This may be a bug local only to my setup, but I'm not sure how to investigate it. Best, Alan -- OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7