* inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04  1:10 Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dear Gnus,

To see the problem, go to the attachment in this post, hit 'E' and you
will see garbled characters.

[-- Attachment #2: test.el --]

Tested in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
2007-05-31.

Regards,

* Re: inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04  2:06 ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-06-04  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Gnus,
>
> To see the problem, go to the attachment in this post, hit 'E' and you
> will see garbled characters.
>
> (defun text ()
>   "这个是函数。"
>   (do-nothing))
>
> Tested in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
> 2007-05-31.

Here I don't. And I had some CJK font installed.

--
ssSslang

* Re: inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04  2:42   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- ssSslang (2007-06-04) wrote:-----

>> Dear Gnus,
>>
>> To see the problem, go to the attachment in this post, hit 'E' and you
>> will see garbled characters.
>>
>> (defun text ()
>>   "这个是函数。"
>>   (do-nothing))
>>
>> Tested in GNU Emacs 23.0.0.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of
>> 2007-05-31.
>
> Here I don't. And I had some CJK font installed.

That is weird. I check your post in firefox and it is garbled:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64749

* Re: inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04  3:02     ` ssSslang
From: ssSslang @ 2007-06-04  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> That is weird. I check your post in firefox and it is garbled:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/64749

I do in opera. I guess maybe gnus not encode the characters.
'decode-coding-region' also doesn't work. And I cannot find any encoding
description in you message. Should it be encoded to utf-8?

--
ssSslang

* Re: inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04  3:39 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-04  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> To see the problem, go to the attachment in this post, hit 'E' and you
> will see garbled characters.

Because the supertype of that part is `application', not `text',
Gnus considers there is no human readable text in it.  It is
decoded only by base64, as the part specifies.

OTOH, `2 K i' or `i' on the button shows the decoded Chinese
text, because the `i' command is for the use of ``View As Text,
In This Buffer''.

Only with No Gnus, you can add the coding cookie to such a file
in order to specify the charset MIME parameter.  For examples:

[-- Attachment #2: test1.el --]

;; -*- coding: utf-8; -*-
(defun text ()
  "这个是函数。"
  (do-nothing))

[-- Attachment #3: test2.el --]

(defun text ()
  "这个是函数。"
  (do-nothing))

;; Local Variables:
;; coding: utf-8
;; End:

What handles such a parameter of an `application' MIME part
might be only No Gnus, though.

Or it might be better to use `text/emacs-lisp' instead, though
I'm not sure such a type is widely known, either.

@ 2007-06-04  9:17   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-04  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-04) wrote:-----

>> To see the problem, go to the attachment in this post, hit 'E' and you
>> will see garbled characters.
>
> Because the supertype of that part is `application', not `text', Gnus
> considers there is no human readable text in it.  It is decoded only
> by base64, as the part specifies.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. TeX files have a mimetype
"application/x-tex" and "elisp" files have a mimetype
"application/emacs-lisp" as defined in /etc/mime.types. So when I
attached test.el Gnus automatically picked up "application/emacs-lisp".

> OTOH, `2 K i' or `i' on the button shows the decoded Chinese
> text, because the `i' command is for the use of ``View As Text,
> In This Buffer''.

Command `K i' exists in article buffer, but does not work properly.
Try to use this command in article buffer will cause an error:

,----
`----

> Only with No Gnus, you can add the coding cookie to such a file
> in order to specify the charset MIME parameter.  For examples:
>
> What handles such a parameter of an `application' MIME part
> might be only No Gnus, though.
>
> Or it might be better to use `text/emacs-lisp' instead, though
> I'm not sure such a type is widely known, either.

It appears that mailcap does not define such mimetype. A bug in mailcap?

> Regards,

Thanks,

* Re: inline viewing can't display CJK characters
@ 2007-06-04 10:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-04 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Command `K i' exists in article buffer, but does not work properly.
> Try to use this command in article buffer will cause an error:

> ,----
>| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No article is displayed")
>|   signal(error ("No article is displayed"))
>|   error("No article is displayed")
>|   gnus-article-part-wrapper(3 gnus-mime-inline-part)
>|   gnus-article-inline-part(3)
>|   call-interactively(gnus-article-inline-part)
>|   gnus-article-read-summary-keys(3)
>|   call-interactively(gnus-article-read-summary-keys)
> `----

I could reproduce it when only the article window is displayed
in the Emacs frame.  That is indeed a bug, but I think it is not
so serious.  But it seems to be not so easy to fix.  I'll try it
when I have time.

>> Or it might be better to use `text/emacs-lisp' instead, though
>> I'm not sure such a type is widely known, either.

> It appears that mailcap does not define such mimetype. A bug
> in mailcap?

I don't know.  What you should do first might be to register
such one in some RFC or other as a new MIME type.

@ 2007-06-05  9:32       ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-06-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Command `K i' exists in article buffer, but does not work properly.

[...]

> I could reproduce it when only the article window is displayed
> in the Emacs frame.  That is indeed a bug, but I think it is not
> so serious.  But it seems to be not so easy to fix.  I'll try it
> when I have time.

I realized it will be a problem to people who like to read
articles without displaying the summary buffer.  I've fixed it
in the trunk.

@ 2007-06-05 10:01         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

----- Katsumi Yamaoka (2007-06-05) wrote:-----

>>> Command `K i' exists in article buffer, but does not work properly.
>
> [...]
>
>> I could reproduce it when only the article window is displayed
>> in the Emacs frame.  That is indeed a bug, but I think it is not
>> so serious.  But it seems to be not so easy to fix.  I'll try it
>> when I have time.
>
> I realized it will be a problem to people who like to read
> articles without displaying the summary buffer.  I've fixed it
> in the trunk.

Indeed. Works now. Thanks.