* [??] qgnus and XEmacs packages
@ 1998-02-17 20:44 Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-17 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is directed to the qgnus people who are also XEmacs beta people.

Does anyone do anything special to build qgnus so that it goes easily
with the packages system?  I am currently building auto-autoloads.el by
hand (from update-autoload.el).  Is there a better way?

Thank you very much.
--
This posting adheres to the SELF-DISCIPLINE guidelines for better
USENET discussions. See http://www.eiffel.com/discipline.

* Re: [??] qgnus and XEmacs packages
@ 1998-02-17 21:57 ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-02-17 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin Rafferty <craffert@ml.com> writes:

> This is directed to the qgnus people who are also XEmacs beta people.
> Does anyone do anything special to build qgnus so that it goes easily
> with the packages system?

The sequence to update the XEmacs package is roughly:[1]

(Sitting in xemacs-packages/comm/gnus/gnus, and qgnus untarred in $GNUSHOME)

$ cp $GNUSHOME/GNUS-NEWS $GNUSHOME/Makefile $GNUSHOME/readme .
$ cp $GNUSHOME/etc/gnus-tut.txt etc
$ cp $GNUSHOME/texi/Ch* $GNUSHOME/[Md-r]* texi
$ cp $GNUSHOME/lisp/Ch* $GNUSHOME/lisp/M* $GNUSHOME/lisp/*.el lisp
$ rm -rf lisp/*.elc

Then cd ..; and make.

> I am currently building auto-autoloads.el by
> hand (from update-autoload.el).  Is there a better way?

There is an easier way.  Check out the (misnamed) xpackage.sh script
on the XEmacs FTP site:

	ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/beta/xemacs-20.5/packages/utils/

Modify the paths to fit the local environment, then run it in the top
level directory of untarred qgnus.

Footnotes:
[1]  This is what I do anyway to synch qgnus.