From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Subject: Re: Feature Freeze/Red Gnus
Date: 27 Jan 1996 16:30:11 -0800	[thread overview]

Lars> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> Given how functional/outstanding Gnus' e-mail support is, I'd really
>> like to see the group information about non-nntp groups moved to a
>> separate file.

Lars> I'm not sure how much you'd win by doing that.  It'll make it easier
Lars> to pack up and move to a different system, but it should be possible
Lars> to do that with the nntp groups as well, I think.  (In Red Gnus, I
Lars> hope, with some article number->message-id translation thingie to
Lars> produce a "portable newsrc file".)

One thing that's always bothered me about the current format is what
happens if your NNTP server changes its domain name
(ie. clue.callamer.com becomes twizzler.callamer.com)?

Can I just rename .gnusrc-clue.callamer.com* to
.gnusrc-twizzler.callamer.com?  Or better still, can I make a symbolic
link so the two are one and the same?

Lars> But you can have several .newsrc files.  For instance, my primary
Lars> select method at the moment is nnsoup, and the newsrc file it uses is
Lars> ".newsrc-soup".  When I test nntp, I use ".newsrc-nntp".  (Of course,
Lars> the reason I use several newsrc files is so that I can have one "real"
Lars> one and several I can mess up all I want while testing.)

Would it be possible for you to make (and distribute) a developer's
kit with something like this for testing?

>> I'd also like to see nntp group information divided into
>> server-specific and server-independent portions.

Lars> The server-specific information being the article numbers and article
Lars> marks, and the server-independent being, well, all the rest?  Levels,
Lars> scores, names, and group parameters?

Exactly.  Given how expiration times have gone way down, it is far
less important in moving to a new server knowing what articles you've
already seen, than having all the group setup information preprepared.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.