* 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18  9:42 Erik Colson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-03-18  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ehlo,

Is it possible to have some kind of 'smart' group in gnus ?

What I'd like:
Have a Group where I see all messages from one or more other groups
which are sent after a certain date.

Probably doable, but how ?

Best
--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18 12:21 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-03-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:42:36 +0100, Erik wrote:

> Have a Group where I see all messages from one or more other groups
> which are sent after a certain date.

Perhaps Virtual Groups can help? http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_222.html#SEC222

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18 12:32 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-18 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: ding

Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> writes:

Hi Erik,

> Is it possible to have some kind of 'smart' group in gnus ?

Everything is smart in Gnus! ;-)

> What I'd like:
> Have a Group where I see all messages from one or more other groups
> which are sent after a certain date.
>
> Probably doable, but how ?

You can do that using imap search with nnir, assuming you use imap.
Simply mark all groups, then `C-u G G', enter the right SINCE imap
search string (check the spec for the syntax), choose `imap', RET,
finished.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18 12:35   ` David Engster
       [not found]     ` <B8C7419A-15C5-4C0A-8360-CACC4FA541F9@ecocode.net>
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-18 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn writes:
> You can do that using imap search with nnir, assuming you use imap.
> Simply mark all groups, then `C-u G G', enter the right SINCE imap
> search string (check the spec for the syntax), choose `imap', RET,
> finished.

But can those groups be made permanent? (You know, like nnmairix
does... ;-) )

-David

* Re: 'smart' group
       [not found]     ` <B8C7419A-15C5-4C0A-8360-CACC4FA541F9@ecocode.net>
@ 2011-03-18 13:33       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik Colson writes:
> On 18 Mar 2011, at 13:35, David Engster wrote:
>>
>> But can those groups be made permanent? (You know, like nnmairix
>> does... ;-) )

> yep, that's the idea of my question ;)

To elaborate: nnmairix can do what you want, but mairix is designed to
work with local mail storage. It can be used with nnimap, but the setup
is rather complicated and you need shell access on the IMAP server.

-David

* Re: 'smart' group
       [not found]     ` <B8C7419A-15C5-4C0A-8360-CACC4FA541F9@ecocode.net>
@ 2011-03-18 13:38     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

Hi David,

>> You can do that using imap search with nnir, assuming you use imap.
>> Simply mark all groups, then `C-u G G', enter the right SINCE imap
>> search string (check the spec for the syntax), choose `imap', RET,
>> finished.
>
> But can those groups be made permanent? (You know, like nnmairix
> does... ;-) )

No, at least I don't know how.  With nnmairix, would receiving a new
mail that matches some search group's criterion automatically be added
to that group?  Or does "refreshing" mean running the search from
scratch?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18 13:51       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo Horn writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
> Hi David,
>
>>> You can do that using imap search with nnir, assuming you use imap.
>>> Simply mark all groups, then `C-u G G', enter the right SINCE imap
>>> search string (check the spec for the syntax), choose `imap', RET,
>>> finished.
>>
>> But can those groups be made permanent? (You know, like nnmairix
>> does... ;-) )
>
> No, at least I don't know how.  With nnmairix, would receiving a new
> mail that matches some search group's criterion automatically be added
> to that group?

No.

>  Or does "refreshing" mean running the search from scratch?

Yes. You have to update the index (which is done incrementally) and then
search from scratch. It's faster than it sounds, depending on what you
search (word/substring) and where (certain header/full message body).

-David

* Re: 'smart' group
@ 2011-03-18 14:26 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:42:36 +0100 Erik Colson <eco@ecocode.net> wrote:

EC> Is it possible to have some kind of 'smart' group in gnus ?

EC> What I'd like:
EC> Have a Group where I see all messages from one or more other groups
EC> which are sent after a certain date.

I had a similar idea: a search that shows `?' marked articles that
haven't had a followup in N days.  So if you post some questions, you
want to see the ones that haven't been answered.

The Gnus registry can handle both of these tasks (and much more) and
doesn't require a group.  Making a group to view the results of the
search, however, I don't know how to do.  I can hand off the article
numbers and group names to some other function.  Is such a function
already written?

Thanks
Ted