* message-mode, compilation, XEmacs 21.4.14
@ 2004-04-21 14:41 Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2004-04-21 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey folks,

I'm finally getting around to updating to NoGnus, I've run into a
problem if I byte-compile message.el, as soon as I enter a *mail*
buffer, after displaying an *Article*, font-lock becomes becomes
broken as soon as I type some text

(extent-at (point)) returns nil though if I don't type on the line, it
does return useful information.

font-lock-defaults is currently set to nil.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/53254 describes what
I'm seeing but the hook solution doesn't help me out here b/c the
font-lock-defaults are nil I believe.

Any ideas what from *Article* font-lock is clobbering *mail*
font-lock?
--
Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>
Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures.

* Re: message-mode, compilation, XEmacs 21.4.14
@ 2004-04-22 14:00 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-04-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:

> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/53254 describes what
> I'm seeing but the hook solution doesn't help me out here b/c the
> font-lock-defaults are nil I believe.

Hm?  What does the solution of explicitly turn font-lock off and then
explicitly on again have to do with font-lock-defaults?

Kai

* Re: message-mode, compilation, XEmacs 21.4.14
@ 2004-04-22 14:08   ` Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2004-04-22 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:
>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/53254 describes what
>> I'm seeing but the hook solution doesn't help me out here b/c the
>> font-lock-defaults are nil I believe.
>
> Hm?  What does the solution of explicitly turn font-lock off and then
> explicitly on again have to do with font-lock-defaults?

My diagnosis of what was going on w/ font-lock-defaults was completely
off and that thread was as close to describing the problem I'm having
in the archives.

I just now realized that font-lock looks at the properties of the
major-mode to figure out what set of keywords to grab.  I now see that
the message-font-lock-keywords have a different value before I look
at an article and after so I'm trying to trackdown if the original
value I'm getting is something other than in gnus/lisp/message.el
--
Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>

* Re: message-mode, compilation, XEmacs 21.4.14
@ 2004-04-22 18:14     ` Chris Green
From: Chris Green @ 2004-04-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:

> I just now realized that font-lock looks at the properties of the
> major-mode to figure out what set of keywords to grab.  I now see that
> the message-font-lock-keywords have a different value before I look
> at an article and after so I'm trying to trackdown if the original
> value I'm getting is something other than in gnus/lisp/message.el

Is there anything in for emacs debugging similar to to the watch
command in gdb?  I'd really like to inspect as soon as
message-font-lock-keywords gets modified since single stepping from
gnus-summary-next-article is getting old.
--
Chris Green <cmg@dok.org>
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.

* Re: message-mode, compilation, XEmacs 21.4.14
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-16 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Green <cmg@dok.org> writes:

> Is there anything in for emacs debugging similar to to the watch
> command in gdb?

I don't think so.