From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Nearly impossible to start up recent Oort.
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:10:51 -0500	[thread overview]

ShengHuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>
>> I can barely start up the latest CVS versions of Oort.  I have to try
>> over and over, and maybe one out of 10 times or so, gnus finally comes
>> up.  When it doesn't start, either the XEmacs window completely
>> disappears, or els I get the following error.  I'm using XEmacs 21.4.3
>> under RedHat Linux 7.2.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Signaling: (invalid-function 67399686)
>>   67399686("" #<compiled-function (file orig-file) "...(17)" [orig-file file nnmail-split-incoming nnml-save-mail nil nnmail-get-split-group (directory :path "/home/ljz/Groups/" :suffix ".in") nnml-active-number] 7> t)
>>   gnus-byte-compile((lambda (file orig-file) (nnmail-split-incoming file (quote nnml-save-mail) (quote nil) (if ... nil ...) (quote nnml-active-number))))
>
> You can get around the problem with (setq gnus-use-byte-compile nil).
> If it works, probably there is a bug in the XEmacs byte-compile code.

Thank you very much.

This is the same XEmacs I've been using for at least 6 months to do
countless successful byte compiles, including dozens of byte compiles of
various versions of Gnus, all of which have worked just fine.  Can you
think of any other reason why this would start to fail in recent Gnus
releases?

Also, what could cause this error to not show up 100% of the time?  If I
restart Gnus repeatedly, eventually (like I mentioned, maybe 1 in 10
times or so), I do not get this error, and Gnus starts up fine.  There
are no byte compiles of anything being done during the time when I'm
doing the series of start-up attempts.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com