From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
Subject: Re: Changed criteria for deciding if articles have been read?
Date: 01 Oct 2001 18:30:56 -0400	[thread overview]

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> [ ... ]
>
> After running the new version, no `.mrk/.marks' had been created
> anywhere, but I didn't do the `nnml-generate-nov-databases'.  Would
> I have to do that before any .mrk/.marks appear?

Aha!  I discovered that there *are* indeed a bunch of `.marks' files,
each of which appear in their respective group directory (however, not
under any directory named `.mrk').  For example, for my `gnus' nnml
group, the following file exists:

   ~/Mail/gnus/.marks

It was last created/modified on Aug. 19, which is the last time I
attempted to run a new version of Oort (but I didn't continue using
it, due to an unrelated problem, and I went back to the older version
which is still the version I'm using now).  No doubt this Aug. 19
version of Oort created these `.marks' files when it started up.

The `.marks' file I mentioned above contains this data (it's all on a
single line in the file, but I'm wrapping it here):

  ((read (1 . 26024))
   (reply 24924 25041 25273 25295 25306 (25310 . 25311) 25329 25337)
   (tick 26017 26020))

Funny how it just _happens_ to contain the same info that `G E' shows
below for the "recent Oort version" case.  :)

I then renamed all my `.marks' files in all of my group directories,
and I once again started up the recent version of Oort.  Without those
old `.marks' files, the unread-ness of my articles is now once again
correct.  And then, after exiting the recent version of Oort, there
was now a zero-length `.marks' file in that same group directory.

So ... for those people who are transitioning from an older to a more
recent version of Oort, and who see this same inconsistency concerning
unread articles, I recommend that you search in your group directories
for any `.marks' files that are laying around, and delete them.

Does this solve the problem, or does it just illustrate another aspect
of a bug?

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com