* oooohhhhh... bitten once again by an evil "reply-to"-setting mailing list
@ 1998-08-13 15:20 Randal Schwartz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1998-08-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, what can I do about those lame mailing lists (about a fourth of
them, in my experience) that add "reply-to: the-list@where.ever", so
that both the "r" and the "f" buttons do EXACTLY the SAME THING?

Is there something I can set in the group-params that says "ignore
reply-to"?

Of course, I've tried to convince these folks time and time again that
this means that an *individual* cannot add a "reply-to" to their own
message and have it be used. :(

But they claim "hey, it makes it easier for people to keep the
conversations on the list instead of amongst the individuals".  <Sigh>
The average IQ of the net is dropping rapidly.

At least I didn't say something very embarassing this time.  Last time
it was much worse, and I raised more hell over it.  Still to no avail.
(Funny, that group said that nearly everyone that signs on and gets
bit then complains... I think they feel it is a rite of passage. :)

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: oooohhhhh... bitten once again by an evil "reply-to"-setting mailing list
@ 1998-08-13 15:45 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > OK, what can I do about those lame mailing lists (about a fourth
  > of them, in my experience) that add "reply-to:
  > the-list@where.ever", so that both the "r" and the "f" buttons do
  > EXACTLY the SAME THING?

There's a `broken reply-to' group parameter.  Type G c on the group.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes

@ 1998-08-13 15:45 ` Bud Rogers
From: Bud Rogers @ 1998-08-13 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Edit Group Properties for the offending lists.  I stumbled onto this while
wandering around in the gnus info files.

`broken-reply-to'
     Elements like `(broken-reply-to . t)' signals that `Reply-To'
     headers in this group are to be ignored.  This can be useful if
     you're reading a mailing list group where the listserv has inserted
     `Reply-To' headers that point back to the listserv itself.  This is
     broken behavior.  So there!

--

Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>
  formerly <budr@tanet.net>

@ 1998-08-13 15:53 ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1998-08-13 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal> Is there something I can set in the group-params that says "ignore
Randal> reply-to"?

Duh.  RTFM.

Thank you for providing that feature *already*!

(Yes, thanks to the half dozen people that sent me messages
saying "set broken-reply-to".)

I can't believe I called the support line before I picked up the
manual.  Shame on me.  I'm turning in my "unix guru card" for 24 hours
now. :)

(Admittedly, part of the reason I posted was to point out how much a
feature like that is needed. :)