From: Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net>
Subject: Re: Problem with nnvirtual in 0.72?
Date: 09 Dec 1996 21:37:23 -0500	[thread overview]

Matt Pharr <mmp@graphics.stanford.edu> writes:

> David Moore <dmoore@UCSD.EDU> writes:
> > Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:

> > > Unfortunately after I upgraded to 0.72 I found that after reading all of
> > >the articles in the group and calling gnus-group-get-new-news the unread
> > >article count would be some large number (like 1300, I assume the sum of
> > >(max - min article) for each group).  It seems that it's losing the list
> > >of read articles, even though a long list shows up in the group info.
> > ..

> > > Has anyone seen this?  I'm not submitting this as a bug report because I
> > >could be screwing something up and since I don't really know where to
> > >start
> > > looking it would be a pretty pitiful bug report.

> Another little piece of data about this: I raised the level of the groups
> that make up one of my virtual groups to 3 and started newsreading. When I
> started gnus, all was fine--there were a handful of new messages. After I
> read news in one of the virtual groups with new news and caught up, exited
> and returned to the Group buffer, all of the groups that made up the
> virutal group has a jazillion unread messages in them. So maybe it's a
> problem with how nnvirtual handles catching up...

This problem is still there in 0.74... I have one nnvirtual group made
up of two level 6 (unsubscribed) groups.  Whenever I catch up in the
nnvirtual group, it screws up the the read messages count in the
constituent groups.  i.e.,

 U      6207: comp.os.linux.development.apps
 U      1353: comp.os.linux.development.system
        4610: nnvirtual:comp.os.linux.development

("comp.os.linux.development.apps" 6
 ((1 . 23143))
 ((reply 28332 28811)))

I change it to:

("comp.os.linux.development.apps" 6
 ((1 . 28811))
 ((reply 28332 28811)))

(and save with C-c C-c)
then do M-g on the virtual group and get:

 U       539: comp.os.linux.development.apps
 U      1353: comp.os.linux.development.system
        1768: nnvirtual:comp.os.linux.development

Then enter the virtual group and do a "c y" and we are back to

 U      6207: comp.os.linux.development.apps
 U      1353: comp.os.linux.development.system
        4613: nnvirtual:comp.os.linux.development

"G E" on the apps group gives:

("comp.os.linux.development.apps" 6
 ((1 . 23143))
 ((reply 28332 28811)))

Funny thing is, "c y" in the *Groups* buffer seems to work right...

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu