* Re: gnus-list-identifiers not stripped in threads started with
       [not found] <hhu0yetx1b.fsf@blah.pl>
@ 2004-05-18  8:23 ` Jonas Steverud
       [not found]   ` <hhbrkmrv04.fsf@blah.pl>
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-05-18  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

[...]
> i've just noticed that the bad effect is only in the summary, the subject
> is stripped in the message buffer.
>
> i'm using cvs few minutes old, but the bug has been in cvs gnus for a while
> alrady.

I've seen this as well and I agree, it is most annoying.

I have set nnmail-list-identifiers and gnus-list-identifiers. Since
the former is applied before any decoding of QP etc. it isn't very
useful so I started to do some research.

I could confirm that nnmail-list-identifiers is applied before any
decoding of QP etc. but that gnus-summary-remove-list-identifiers (and
so is nnmail-remove-list-identifiers) is hard-coded to use Re: instead
of using a variable similar to message-subject-re-regexp¹. I've found
that if the regexps in the aforementioned functions does not match,
the removal is broken.

I suggestion is to check the offending emails literally (C-u g in
the summary) and see what the regexp acctually is applied to. I
wouldn't be surprised if the subject contains a Re: that isn't matched
by the (hardcoded) regexp.

Two IMHOs:

1. Why have both nnmail-list-identifiers *and* gnus-list-identifiers?
   Isn't this redundant? If the reason is that one shall have the
   option to remove it in mails but not elsewhere I don't agree: That
   can be controlled by group parameters. Besides, the
   nnmail-list-identifiers is not very useful considering it is
   applied *before* QP-decoding.

2. nnmail-list-identifiers should be applied after QP decoding.

I would prefer the removal of nnmail-list-identifiers of the two above.

-------
¹  IMHO the default for this should be set to include SV and AW and
any other known idiocy.

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

@ 2004-05-18  9:28     ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-05-18  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciej Matysiak <phoner.ding@blah.pl> writes:

> On the 18th of May 2004 at 10:23, Jonas Steverud <tvrud#bredband.net> wrote:
[...]
>> I could confirm that nnmail-list-identifiers is applied before any
>> decoding of QP etc. but that gnus-summary-remove-list-identifiers (and
>> so is nnmail-remove-list-identifiers) is hard-coded to use Re: instead
>> of using a variable similar to message-subject-re-regexp¹.
>
> ouch. my m-s-r-r is quite different than the default:

Just for the record: m-s-r-r is only used in message-mode.

nnmail-remove-list-identifiers use
"^Subject: +\\(Re: +\\)?\\(" regexp " *\\)"
gnus-summary-remove-list-identifiers use
(concat "\\(\\(\\(Re: +\\)?\\(" regexp " *\\)\\)+\\(Re: +\\)?\\)")

Ouch.

IMHO there should be a gnus-re-regexp that then is used as the default
for m-s-r-r and used by the xxx-remove-list-id functions.

(I know I should implement this myself, but I haven't done the
bureaucracy to be able to do that, but I guess the number of todos
pile up until I get it done, or something...)

>> I suggestion is to check the offending emails literally (C-u g in
>> the summary) and see what the regexp acctually is applied to.
>
> as i mentioned before, it happens only when the message which started thread
> is not visible in the summary. real example:

OK, I haven't done such testing - I just saw what happened in the
summary and then started to read the removal functions. It maybe is so
that it is the thread gathering functions or the display functions
that is the culprit and not the remove-function? I.e. the error might
be elsewhere.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> (I know I should implement this myself, but I haven't done the
> bureaucracy to be able to do that, but I guess the number of todos
> pile up until I get it done, or something...)

Please do...

* Re: gnus-list-identifiers not stripped in threads started with
@ 2004-05-18 14:10         ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2004-05-18 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:
>
>> (I know I should implement this myself, but I haven't done the
>> bureaucracy to be able to do that, but I guess the number of todos
>> pile up until I get it done, or something...)
>
> Please do...

"Pretty please with sugar on the top, now go sign the f*cking papers"? ;-)

BTW, what is required to be allowed to contribute code to Gnus?

1. CVS access
2. Some papers need to be signed, AFAIK
3. ?

These are done how?

--

@ 2004-05-18 14:16           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-05-18 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> "Pretty please with sugar on the top, now go sign the f*cking papers"? ;-)

You read my mind.  :-)

> BTW, what is required to be allowed to contribute code to Gnus?
>
> 1. CVS access
> 2. Some papers need to be signed, AFAIK
> 3. ?
>
> These are done how?

Except that 2 and 1 are done in the opposite order.  And there is no
3.

Here's how to start the paperwork:

----------

Please email the following information to fsf-records@gnu.org, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.
Please use your full name as the subject line of the message.

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]