* Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-08 13:58 Mike McEwan
From: Mike McEwan @ 1998-03-08 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Just a teensy little request - can a message be whacked on the end of
a `gnus-agent-expire' run.

  Can expiry not be conducted on *all* articles older than a certain
date, regardless of whether they have been marked read or not (with
the exception of ticked)?

  I realise I can do a `c' on a summary buffer limited by date, and
then run expiry. But a variable or function bringing about this
behaviour would be so much easier.

  Useful feature? Should I just knock something up for myself and
leave everyone else alone?

--
Mike.

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-13 21:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-13 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike McEwan <mike@lotusland.demon.co.uk> writes:

>   Just a teensy little request - can a message be whacked on the end of
> a `gnus-agent-expire' run.

Yup.  Fix in Gnus v5.6.3.

>   Can expiry not be conducted on *all* articles older than a certain
> date, regardless of whether they have been marked read or not (with
> the exception of ticked)?

Well...  Ok.

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-13 23:33   ` Wes Hardaker
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-03-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Can expiry not be conducted on *all* articles older than a certain
>> date, regardless of whether they have been marked read or not (with
>> the exception of ticked)?

Lars> Well...  Ok.

Oh, Lars, I hope you're going to make this an option...  I'd hate to
loose all that mail I leave around as unread on purpose...  (I use
ticks as reference, unread as todo).

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-13 23:46     ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1998-03-13 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> >> Can expiry not be conducted on *all* articles older than a certain
> >> date, regardless of whether they have been marked read or not (with
> >> the exception of ticked)?
>
> Lars> Well...  Ok.

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with total expiry.  I'd hate
to lose mail.  :-(

> Oh, Lars, I hope you're going to make this an option...  I'd hate to
> loose all that mail I leave around as unread on purpose...  (I use
> ticks as reference, unread as todo).

Why don't you use dormant articles (`?') for this purpose?

--
Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia
--------------------------------+--------------------------------

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-13 23:53       ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-03-13 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

>> Oh, Lars, I hope you're going to make this an option...  I'd hate to
>> loose all that mail I leave around as unread on purpose...  (I use
>> ticks as reference, unread as todo).

Hrvoje> Why don't you use dormant articles (`?') for this purpose?

Uh, Cough, because I completely forgot about those?  Its probably time
to go read the manual through again...  Every time I've done that I
still learn more.  And I've been using the damn beast for a long time
now...

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-03-13 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Lars> Well...  Ok.
>
> Oh, Lars, I hope you're going to make this an option...

Yup.

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-14  0:08     ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-03-14  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <wjhardaker@ucdavis.edu> writes:

> Oh, Lars, I hope you're going to make this an option...  I'd hate to
> loose all that mail I leave around as unread on purpose...  (I use
> ticks as reference, unread as todo).

I do exactly the same thing.

I also like to make some messages read (and invisible later in Gnus),
but have them available on disk (indefinitely) for later grepping.

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-14  0:19       ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-03-14  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> Why don't you use dormant articles (`?') for this purpose?

I used to do this.  The problem was that they disappear (by default)
and don't reappear unless there is a (properly threaded) response.
Has this changed?

* Re: Can we have a message when agent expiry is finished?
@ 1998-03-14  0:45         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1998-03-14  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

sb> I used to do this.  The problem was that they disappear (by
sb> default) and don't reappear unless there is a (properly threaded)
sb> response.  Has this changed?

I just tried it.

No.

And, even weirder, it doesn't show up when I enter a group I have set
up to show everything but non-expired articles...  It must not
completely obey normal marking symbols?

--

@ 1998-03-15  1:06           ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-03-15  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Wes> And, even weirder, it doesn't show up when I enter a group I
  Wes> have set up to show everything but non-expired articles...  It
  Wes> must not completely obey normal marking symbols?

Well, I think you need to type / D or something to make them appear.

kai
--
Really cancel?   [OK]  [Cancel]