From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Subject: Re: mail
Date: 18 May 1996 09:38:43 -0700	[thread overview]

Lars> michael lamoureux <lamour@engin.umich.edu> writes:
>> I solved it.  Basically, I set up an nnml secondary-select method, and
>> couldn't find some of the groups when the mail came in.  I went
>> through a LOT of pain to find them.  Shouldn't they just automatically
>> show up the first time mail arrives in the groups?

This is an excellent, pertinent question.  Even when new groups get
subscribed there is the possibility of them getting lost.  I didn't
make this clear in my first response.

Lars> Yes, new nnml groups should be automatically subscribed.  The
Lars> `gnus-auto-subscribed-groups' matches groups to be subscribed.  If
Lars> this doesn't work, report it with `M-x gnus-bug'.

Assuming the user is using Topics, what Topic are new groups
subscribed into?  What can be done to customize this?  I cannot find
the answers to these questions in the User's Manual.  It might be
useful to have a Gnus-defined Topic named ``Newly Created Groups'',
where all new groups go into when initially subscribed.  If Novice
mode is selected, it probably shouldn't be allowed to be folded (or at
least required to be visible when Gnus is [re]started).

Considering that the norm will be (if not already) the user having
access to 10s of thousands newsgroups, the mechanism for placement of
newly subscribed groups will have to be as carefully done as mail
splitting is done now.

As an aside:
Although not bug free, the current implementation of Topics is quite
good, and at least an order of magnitude more useful than the original
Gnus 5 implementation.  I can hardly wait until I get my hands on drag
& drop XEmacs to play around with Group/Topic maintenance :-).
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.