* Mail from Tomohiko disappears
@ 1996-05-05 16:58 Frank D. Cringle
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Frank D. Cringle @ 1996-05-05 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am I the only one experiencing this or did I miss it being mentioned
somewhere?  Tomohiko's messages get tagged onto the end of my RMAIL
file and just languish there unrecognized.

The problem is due to the "From " mbox delimiter line not being
recognized.  I am not sure which component of my installation is the
root cause, so here is a run down:
  sendmail 8.6.x (the one that comes with Solaris 2.5)
  emacs 19.30
  gnus 5.1
  tm-edit 7.52
  nnbabyl

Here is the "From " line from the mbox (* prepended to protect the
innocent)
* From morioka@jaist.ac.jp (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPGkyLBsoQiAbJEJDTkknGyhC?= / Sun May  5 17:41:15 1996

If I chop out the fullname part all is well, so I guess there is a
regexp somewhere that gets confused.  It looks like nnbabyl just gives
up without so much as a warning.  The raw message can be found sitting
unchanged after the final ^_ (0x1f) in the RMAIL file.

--
Frank Cringle                      | fdc@cliwe.ping.de
voice + fax                        | +49 2304 467101

* Mail from Tomohiko disappears
@ 1996-05-05 18:56 ` Andreas Kaempf
From: Andreas Kaempf @ 1996-05-05 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

frank...

you are not the only one seeing this... actually i see it happen more
with the tm package is use and vm...  i have not been able to figure
this out yet...

cheers,
andreas

    Frank> Am I the only one experiencing this or did I miss it being
    Frank> mentioned somewhere?  Tomohiko's messages get tagged onto
    Frank> the end of my RMAIL file and just languish there
    Frank> unrecognized.

    Frank> The problem is due to the "From " mbox delimiter line not
    Frank> being recognized.  I am not sure which component of my
    Frank> installation is the root cause, so here is a run down:
    Frank> sendmail 8.6.x (the one that comes with Solaris 2.5) emacs
    Frank> 19.30 gnus 5.1 tm-edit 7.52 nnbabyl

    Frank> Here is the "From " line from the mbox (* prepended to
    Frank> protect the innocent) From morioka@jaist.ac.jp
    Frank> (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPGkyLBsoQiAbJEJDTkknGyhC?= / Sun May 5
    Frank> 17:41:15 1996

    Frank> If I chop out the fullname part all is well, so I guess
    Frank> there is a regexp somewhere that gets confused.  It looks
    Frank> like nnbabyl just gives up without so much as a warning.
    Frank> The raw message can be found sitting unchanged after the
    Frank> final ^_ (0x1f) in the RMAIL file.

    Frank> -- Frank Cringle | fdc@cliwe.ping.de voice + fax | +49 2304
    Frank> 467101

    Frank> --

   Steller Computer Consultants	 	Andreas Kaempf
	P.O. BOX 3873
     Nashua, NH 03062  USA	      akaempf@sccon.com

* Re: Mail from Tomohiko disappears
@ 1996-05-05 20:11 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-05 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am I the only one experiencing this or did I miss it being mentioned
> somewhere?  Tomohiko's messages get tagged onto the end of my RMAIL
> file and just languish there unrecognized.

> The problem is due to the "From " mbox delimiter line not being
> recognized.  I am not sure which component of my installation is the
>root cause, so here is a run down:
>  sendmail 8.6.x (the one that comes with Solaris 2.5)
(Sendmail 8.6.x has serious problems, :-( BTW).

>  emacs 19.30
>   gnus 5.1
    ^^^^ ^^^
>   tm-edit 7.52
>   nnbabyl

This smells like the bug that bit me some time ago and got fixed in
September Gnus.  How do things work if you unconditionally set
(setq mail-use-rfc822 t)
in your .emacs?

emacs19.30:(defvar mail-use-rfc822 nil "\
*If non-nil, use a full, hairy RFC822 parser on mail addresses.
Otherwise, (the default) use a smaller, somewhat faster, and
often correct parser.")

The valid rfc822 address ``steve@miranova.com (Steve "Dumb Blonde" Baur)''
is one such address handled incorrectly when this variable is not set.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Mail from Tomohiko disappears
@ 1996-05-06  8:01   ` Frank D. Cringle
From: Frank D. Cringle @ 1996-05-06  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>>  sendmail 8.6.x (the one that comes with Solaris 2.5)
>(Sendmail 8.6.x has serious problems, :-( BTW).

I lull myself into a (false?) sense of security by only exchanging
mail via uucp with my MX.  Yes, I should disable the smtp port too.
But when I am online (with ppp) I watch the modem lights like a hawk
and recognize anything that does not belong to me :-)

>This smells like the bug that bit me some time ago and got fixed in
>September Gnus.  How do things work if you unconditionally set
>(setq mail-use-rfc822 t)
>in your .emacs?

Just tried it - does not help.

--

@ 1996-05-06 20:40 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-06 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank> Am I the only one experiencing this or did I miss it being mentioned
Frank> somewhere?  Tomohiko's messages get tagged onto the end of my RMAIL
Frank> file and just languish there unrecognized.

I think you've got a configuration problem.

Frank> Here is the "From " line from the mbox (* prepended to protect the
Frank> innocent)
Frank> * From morioka@jaist.ac.jp (=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCPGkyLBsoQiAbJEJDTkknGyhC?= / Sun May  5 17:41:15 1996

This is not valid.  Note that there is an opening paren and no closing
paren.

The likeliest explanation I can think of now is a misbehaving program
choking on the long comment part of the mail address.  I'm going to
send you a test message offline to try to confirm this.