* cleaner display
@ 2013-02-08 10:47 42 147
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: 42 147 @ 2013-02-08 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm completely new to gnus, and relatively new to Emacs.

That said, how would I configure gnus to collapse the list of messages
into topics, much like org-mode collapses nested sub-headlines into
top-level headlines?

E.g., instead of seeing:

[poster] [topic]
         [poster]
                [poster]
                        [poster]

[poster] [topic]
         [poster]
                [poster]
                        [poster]

I'd see:

[poster][topic]
[poster][topic]

etc.

Presumably there's a command to expand / contract.

* Re: cleaner display
@ 2013-02-08 15:45 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2013-02-08 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm completely new to gnus, and relatively new to Emacs.
>
> That said, how would I configure gnus to collapse the list of messages
> into topics, much like org-mode collapses nested sub-headlines into
> top-level headlines?
>
> E.g., instead of seeing:
>
> [poster] [topic]
>          [poster]
>                 [poster]
>                         [poster]
>
> [poster] [topic]
>          [poster]
>                 [poster]
>                         [poster]
>
> I'd see:
>
> [poster][topic]
> [poster][topic]
>
> etc.
>
> Presumably there's a command to expand / contract.

T h does that.  I'm not how to make that permanent though.

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: cleaner display
@ 2013-02-08 15:46 ` Burton Samograd
From: Burton Samograd @ 2013-02-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm completely new to gnus, and relatively new to Emacs.
>
> That said, how would I configure gnus to collapse the list of messages
> into topics, much like org-mode collapses nested sub-headlines into
> top-level headlines?
>
> E.g., instead of seeing:
>
> [poster] [topic]
>          [poster]
>                 [poster]
>                         [poster]
>
> [poster] [topic]
>          [poster]
>                 [poster]
>                         [poster]
>
> I'd see:
>
> [poster][topic]
> [poster][topic]
>
> etc.
>
> Presumably there's a command to expand / contract.

Sorry, that last command should have been T H, not T h.

--
Burton Samograd

* Re: cleaner display
@ 2013-02-08 20:44 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2013-02-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 42 147; +Cc: ding

42 147 <aeuster@gmail.com> writes:

> That said, how would I configure gnus to collapse the list of messages
> into topics, much like org-mode collapses nested sub-headlines into
> top-level headlines?

gnus-thread-hide-subtree is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
Its value is t
Original value was nil

Documentation:
*If non-nil, hide all threads initially.
This can be a predicate specifier which says which threads to hide.
If threads are hidden, you have to run the command
`gnus-summary-show-thread' by hand or select an article.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org