From: dme@dme.org
Subject: Re: double download of attachments?
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:42:22 +0000	[thread overview]

* jas@extundo.com [2002-11-15 15:30:41]
> OTOH sometimes when I enter groups with large messages, the summary
> buffer doesn't match the article buffer contents sometimes, and I have
> been suspecting the backlog and/or asynchronous prefetching for that
> (but never been able to track down exactly what is happening).
> <optimist>Maybe if we enable the backlog by default, people will see
> the bug and fix it.</optimist>

I've seen this.  I disabled the backlog, and it didn't go away.
After spending some time watching the async prefetch buffer and
monitoring gnus-async-article-alist, entries in
gnus-async-article-alist were occasionally noticed to have bad
markers.

They were bad in the sense that they pointed to the wrong place
(i.e. if there are 10 articles in the prefetch buffer, 9 of the
entries in gnus-async-article-alist had markers pointing to the same
article).  The remainder of the entry was fine, just the markers were
bad.

I tuned the prefetch down to 3 articles (sufficient to make imap
reading bearable over a slowish link) and I've not seen the problem
again, but it's probably still lurking there.