* .gnus, gnus-msg and C-x m
@ 2001-04-16  8:08 Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2001-04-16  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did some Gnus & BBDB related cleanup today.  I had quite an
elaborate setup to deal with the case of me starting up Emacs and
typing C-x m to send mail without starting gnus first.  The settings
in .gnus continue to be a problem.

In my .emacs I have (require 'gnus-msg) and I set mail-user-agent to
'gnus-user-agent.  In my .gnus I have a lot of posting styles.
Amongst other things these add a Fcc header and a signature.

When I start Emacs and hit C-x m, I get a buffer with "To:" and
"Subject:" header, and it has the modes Message, MML and Abbrev.
Therefore, message mode is used (good) but the posting styles are not
used (because .gnus is not read).

Maybe loading gnus-msg should make sure that .gnus is loaded?  Or
whatever is used to create message buffers should?

Anyway, this works for me:

(require 'gnus-msg)
(load-file "~/.gnus")

Alex.
--
http://www.geocities.com/kensanata/emacs.html
"Put (global-font-lock-mode 1) in your .emacs for syntax coloring."

* Re: .gnus, gnus-msg and C-x m
@ 2001-04-29 13:13 ` ShengHuo ZHU
From: ShengHuo ZHU @ 2001-04-29 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@gnu.org> writes:

> I did some Gnus & BBDB related cleanup today.  I had quite an
> elaborate setup to deal with the case of me starting up Emacs and
> typing C-x m to send mail without starting gnus first.  The settings
> in .gnus continue to be a problem.
>
> In my .emacs I have (require 'gnus-msg) and I set mail-user-agent to
> 'gnus-user-agent.  In my .gnus I have a lot of posting styles.
> Amongst other things these add a Fcc header and a signature.
>
> When I start Emacs and hit C-x m, I get a buffer with "To:" and
> "Subject:" header, and it has the modes Message, MML and Abbrev.
> Therefore, message mode is used (good) but the posting styles are not
> used (because .gnus is not read).
>
> Maybe loading gnus-msg should make sure that .gnus is loaded?  Or
> whatever is used to create message buffers should?
>
> Anyway, this works for me:
>
> (require 'gnus-msg)
> (load-file "~/.gnus")

If you use a recent CVS version, putting (require 'gnus-load) into .emacs
is the solution.

ShengHuo