From: Matt Swift <swift@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: moving last mail from nnmh to nnml fails
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:09:20 GMT	[thread overview]

>>"K" == Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

    K> Matt Swift <swift@alum.mit.edu> writes:
    >> Also, I don't understand its default setting of nil (or,
    >> indeed, the reason the variable exists).  MH has no trouble
    >> dealing with empty folders.

    K> nnmh looks in the directory and uses the next free article
    K> number.  And Gnus doesn't like it at all if article numbers are
    K> reused.  Consider: you have marked as read all articles from 1
    K> through 1000.  You delete all articles from the group.  You put
    K> a new article in the group.  It gets number 1 (since that's the
    K> next free number).  The new article will be marked as read!

I see your point.  Aren't analogous problems going to occur if you use
another MH client to manipulate a folder between Gnus sessions?  It
seems reasonable to need to avoid using another MH client during a
single Gnus session, but not reasonable to need to avoid ever using
another MH client if you want to use Gnus as an MH client on occasion.

nnmh is trying to be more than a mere MH client, by keeping track of
read articles (and possibly other state) that MH does not comprehend.
For some people, this might be helpful.  I wonder if there is room for
a flavor of nnmh that is friendlier when working with other MH
clients.

I will ponder.

Not that I've observed this problem ... yet.  Maybe there isn't one.