* scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25  5:43 Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-09-25  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like Gnus interface to the scoring rules very much.

WIBNI there would be a way of *removing* scoring rules as easy
as you add them. So after doing 'I r r t' on the ancestor of
a interesting thread we could do something like 'R r' when the
thread goes to much OT and gnus would ask about removing the
corresponding matching scoring rule? So we could *I*ncrease,
*L*ower and *R*emove.

Or the *Score Trace* buffer could be used for that?

Robert Epprecht

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 10:20 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:

> WIBNI there would be a way of *removing* scoring rules as easy
> as you add them. So after doing 'I r r t' on the ancestor of
> a interesting thread we could do something like 'R r' when the
> thread goes to much OT and gnus would ask about removing the
> corresponding matching scoring rule? So we could *I*ncrease,
> *L*ower and *R*emove.

If you just lower something that was increased, it will go away.  And
vice versa.

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 13:21   ` Robin S. Socha
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-09-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> Robert Epprecht <epprecht@sunweb.ch> writes:
>> WIBNI there would be a way of *removing* scoring rules as easy as you
>> add them.
> If you just lower something that was increased, it will go away.  And
> vice versa.

True, but how do I know what I scored on? Sometimes (usually after an
overdose of LSD) I see *more* faces in *more* colours, indicating
different levels of scores. Right now, I get low and high, but in a
group with 500 articles per day, that's just not good enough. I
think. And while we're at it: I A (e.g.) increases by 1.000. What if I
only wanted 500 and were too lazy to go C-u 500 I A?  Ok, so "there's no
pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing that", but WIBNI... if I A
went "ok, so how many times would you like to huh-huh score, huh?"?
--
Robin S. Socha  <http://socha.net/Gnus/>

* Re: scoring interface
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> True, but how do I know what I scored on?

`V t`.  :-)

> What if I only wanted 500 and were too lazy to go C-u 500 I A?  Ok,
> so "there's no pre-defined functionality in Gnus for doing that",
> but WIBNI... if I A went "ok, so how many times would you like to
> huh-huh score, huh?"?

Nah.  `C-u 5 0 0 I A' is the same number of keystrokes as
`I A 5 0 0 RET'.

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 14:46     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-25 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> different levels of scores. Right now, I get low and high, but in a
> group with 500 articles per day, that's just not good enough. I

There is always the 'limit to certain score' function to display the
various levels of scored articles.

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 16:22       ` Robin S. Socha
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-09-25 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> "Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:
>> True, but how do I know what I scored on?

> `V t`.  :-)

Anyone into writing movie scripts? I just got this idea for one. Call it
Gnusiphos: hubrid user of GNU newsreader/MUA fucks with lesser god and
is punished by having to write a ref-card for it, forming it into a ball
and rolling it up a mountain in Finland. Each time he's close to the
mountain's peak, the lesser God comes along, laughs and throws him Yet
Another Patch.

Now, what does V t give me? This:

("<deathsquad.m3emfnw2ik.fsf@socha.net>" nil 730022 s)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.SCORE
("Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>" 130 730022 s)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.ADAPT
("scoring interface" 3 730022 f)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.ADAPT

This is totally unintuitive. Ok, Gnus *is* unintuitive, but this just
isn't it IYAM. It's not an interface, either - more like an inyerface.

Take gnus-score-edit-current-scores:

(("from"
  ("Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>" 2500 730022 s))
 ("references"
  ("<deathsquad.m3aeqbw27y.fsf@socha.net>[ 	]*$" nil 730022 r)
  ("<deathsquad.m3aeqbw27y.fsf@socha.net>" nil 730022 s)[...]))

I mean, yeah right, I know what this means (I guess...) but who is to
use this? In a less imperfect world, I'd imagine getting something like:

S E (Score Edit):
What?       Current    New      Stuff this
            Score      Score    Score comes from
from:        23        ______   "Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen"
subject(s):   1        ______   <list of subjects>
body:         0        ______   "white\\|disappearing.*socks"
head:         0        ______       ···
message-id:   3        ______       ···
references:   8        ______       ···
xref:         4        ______       ···
extra:        1        ______       ···
lines:       11        ______       ···
date:         0        ______       ···
followup:     0        ______       ···
thread:      18        ______       ···

                          ===================
Edit Scorefiles:
* DingGnus.SCORE
* DingGnus.ADAPT
* ALL.SCORE

And yes, I like menues - I even like customize.

> `C-u 5 0 0 I A' is the same number of keystrokes as `I A 5 0 0 RET'.

True. Let me try to outsmart you like this: WIBNI if there were more
dialogue-like thingies? Like, hitting "a" asks you who to send it to,
what subject to use and so on. Like, say, pine does ]:-> Don't tell me
this stuff exists. Please.
--

@ 1999-09-25 16:55         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-25 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> This is totally unintuitive. Ok, Gnus *is* unintuitive, but this just
> isn't it IYAM. It's not an interface, either - more like an inyerface.

Err Robin,  How about reverting to your old, no word mincing,
flamethrower wielding, chain saw brandishing, deathsquad alluding self
here,  and just say straight out what you are trying to do.   : )

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 17:26         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 1999-09-25 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> Take gnus-score-edit-current-scores:
>
> (("from"
>   ("Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>" 2500 730022 s))
>  ("references"
>   ("<deathsquad.m3aeqbw27y.fsf@socha.net>[ 	]*$" nil 730022 r)
>   ("<deathsquad.m3aeqbw27y.fsf@socha.net>" nil 730022 s)[...]))
>
> I mean, yeah right, I know what this means (I guess...) but who is to
> use this? In a less imperfect world, I'd imagine getting something like:
>
> S E (Score Edit):
> What?       Current    New      Stuff this
>             Score      Score    Score comes from
> from:        23        ______   "Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen"
> subject(s):   1        ______   <list of subjects>
> body:         0        ______   "white\\|disappearing.*socks"

Does the `Score Edit' function you're proposing only show the score
entries which apply to the current article?  Or is it in any other what
different from what `gnus-score-customize' currently does provide?

* Re: scoring interface
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> Anyone into writing movie scripts? I just got this idea for one. Call it
> Gnusiphos: hubrid user of GNU newsreader/MUA fucks with lesser god and
> is punished by having to write a ref-card for it, forming it into a ball
> and rolling it up a mountain in Finland. Each time he's close to the
> mountain's peak, the lesser God comes along, laughs and throws him Yet
> Another Patch.

:-)

> Now, what does V t give me? This:
>
> ("<deathsquad.m3emfnw2ik.fsf@socha.net>" nil 730022 s)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.SCORE
> ("Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>" 130 730022 s)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.ADAPT
> ("scoring interface" 3 730022 f)  ->  /home/robin/news/score/nnml:DingGnus.ADAPT
>
> This is totally unintuitive.

It's intuitive to *me*.  :-)

> I mean, yeah right, I know what this means (I guess...) but who is to
> use this? In a less imperfect world, I'd imagine getting something like:

You have, of course, tried `V C'?

> True. Let me try to outsmart you like this: WIBNI if there were more
> dialogue-like thingies? Like, hitting "a" asks you who to send it to,
> what subject to use and so on.

No, that would be very un-nice.  Most commands take a default.  To
alter that default, you give the commands a prefix.  If you want the
commands to prompt, then people would have to hit `I A RET' all the
time, when they now can just say `I A'.  We win nothing and lose lots.

> Like, say, pine does ]:->

Eggzactly.  :-)

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-25 23:47           ` Robin S. Socha
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Robin S. Socha @ 1999-09-25 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
> "Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:
>> I'd imagine getting something like (ascii art)
> You have, of course, tried `V C'?

I have, and I found it utterly confusing. I read about 40 NGs and
about as many MLs. I'm looking for a way to edit scores easily (mainly
authors and subjects) and this is confusing for a luser (me). If all
I'm presented with is a blank field without any explanations, *I* find
this confusing^Wunusable.

I guess it's a luser problem. So never mind ;-)
--

@ 1999-09-26  0:19             ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1999-09-26  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> I guess it's a luser problem. So never mind ;-)

Robin,
Have you tried the `all.SCORE' approach.  Putting everything in one
file since you mostly use Authors and Subjects, those categories don't
conflict if run against all the groups you read.  ( at least not much)

You can edit it directly from any group by using `V c' (lower case c)
A long list of authors is fairly easy to maintain esp. since you can
sort it alphabetically with `M-x sort-lines'.

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-26 16:56   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 1999-09-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> If you just lower something that was increased, it will go away.  And
> vice versa.

Oh, that's great. I always thought, they would just cancel each other.

Yes, there's still an entry of the kind ("Author Name" 0 nil s) in the
score file, which could be deleted IMHO, but that's more a question of
aesthetics.

Better some useless work for my computer than more work for you ;-)

(My computer is sitting there doing nothing but waiting for me (slow
typer, slow reader) most of the time, while you seem to answer at least
a question a minute...  Never mind.)

Thank you for Gnus.
Robert Epprecht

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-27 12:13             ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1999-09-27 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> If all I'm presented with is a blank field without any explanations,
> *I* find this confusing^Wunusable.

But `V C' gives you longish explanations to all the fields...

* Re: scoring interface
@ 1999-09-27 17:31             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin@socha.net> writes:

> I read about 40 NGs and about as many MLs. I'm looking for a way to
> edit scores easily (mainly authors and subjects) and this is
> confusing for a luser (me).

I use the `gnus-home-score-file' facility to group score files by
hierarchy.  That way, I only have ~10 score files, and everything gets
a lot easier.