* searching
@ 1998-08-22 17:43 Phil Humpherys
From: Phil Humpherys @ 1998-08-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm interesting in useful searcing of mail groups.  Suppose I
have a rather large mail group, and I'd like to search through
the bodies of the email messages and get a summary window of the
results?  Or say I want to get a summary of all the email my
friend Craig has ever sent...  are there cool ways to do this?

--
Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net>   DriverSoft
Unix Systems Administrator                   Mobile: +1.801.725.3257

* Re: searching
@ 1998-08-22 18:04 ` Francisco Solsona
From: Francisco Solsona @ 1998-08-22 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes:

> I'm interesting in useful searcing of mail groups.  Suppose I
> have a rather large mail group, and I'd like to search through
> the bodies of the email messages and get a summary window of the
> results?  Or say I want to get a summary of all the email my
> friend Craig has ever sent...  are there cool ways to do this?

	I'm using kai's nnir, and it does precisely what you want. You
need Wais or glimpse, and you can't restrict it to just one group (not
yet), though.

	You can find it at:

ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/emacs

Francisco
--
Real Users never use the Help key.

* Re: searching
@ 1998-08-23  1:29   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-08-23  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francisco Solsona <solsona@deprof.fciencias.unam.mx> writes:

> Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes:
>
> > I'm interesting in useful searcing of mail groups.  Suppose I
> > have a rather large mail group, and I'd like to search through
> > the bodies of the email messages and get a summary window of the
> > results?  Or say I want to get a summary of all the email my
> > friend Craig has ever sent...  are there cool ways to do this?
>
> 	I'm using kai's nnir, and it does precisely what you want. You
> need Wais or glimpse, and you can't restrict it to just one group (not
> yet), though.
>
> 	You can find it at:
>
> ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/emacs

Kai's nnir is very nice but awfully slow if your only wanting to
search one group.  It will be really an advance for nnir to get the
'glimpse' -F flag as an option on the gnus prompt (would allow aiming
nnir at 1 or 10 or any number of groups by regexp against the path
name.

For now if you are searching one group, Gnus has built in functioning
that does a very nice job.  Finds all the hits and  assembles them in
a buffer for your perusal.

Here's how:

In the summary buffer press '&'  -- When prompted for the "header"
type 'body'  When prompted for a search string put in your query ( a
regexp can be just a word or name)
You will then be prompted for the command you wish to run on the hits.
Type `#'
Gnus will tear through the group finding all messages containing your
search string and apply a `#' to them.  When this activity is over you
can press `/ n' to limit the view to those messages with the `#' on
them.

Quite a nice search tool.

I think you can do this to more than one group by putting several
groups in a `virtual group' and following the same sequence.

--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: searching
@ 1998-08-23 13:33   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 1998-08-23 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

| 	I'm using kai's nnir, and it does precisely what you want. You
| need Wais or glimpse, and you can't restrict it to just one group (not
| yet), though.

Anyone got something like this running under NT yet?  My
attempts to get glimpse running on NT were fruitless.
Is there a Wais port?

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | We dance around in a ring and
http://nwalsh.com/                 | suppose, but the Secret sits in
                                   | the middle and knows.--Robert Frost

* Re: searching
@ 1998-08-24  9:19     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1998-08-24  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Ulrich.Pfeifer, Norbert Goevert

  > Anyone got something like this running under NT yet?  My attempts
  > to get glimpse running on NT were fruitless.  Is there a Wais
  > port?

Rumors have it that people have been asking for an NT port of
freeWAIS-sf on and off, and the response was `have fun with the
coding'.  I don't know if anyone has actually stepped up and done it.

There are hooks for IMAP in nnir.el, that is, if you're reading mail
from an IMAP server, you can use its built-in search capability with
nnir.el.

If you have another program which can search in files I might add
stuff to nnir.el so that that can also be used.  What I need is a
program which accepts a query on stdin or on the command line and
which outputs a list of files, basically (the file name must be
identifiable somehow in the output).  If you have that and are willing
to do some extended testing, do not hesitate to contact me.

kai
--
OOP: object oriented programming;  OOPS: object oriented mistakes