From: Jody Klymak <jklymak@ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: wallowing out of the spam quagmire
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:18:13 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi all,

Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net> writes:

> If I got everything right, all mails in Inbox will be checked upon
> entry for spam. Any spam will be marked with $. Upon exit, all spam
> (autodetected and marked by you) will be moved to Spam and all ham
> (what is considered ham is decided by the ham-mark above) will be
> moved to Ham. Everything that is not marked as spam neither ham will
> stay in place.
>
> When you exit Ham and Spam, bogofilter will train on them as ham and
> spam respectively.

I never quite understood this "trinary" approach to spam.  The setup
I gave assumes a binary approach - either its spam or not.  On
splitting my Inbox
 ham -> mail/Inbox.good
 spam -> mail/junk

I read mail in mail/Inbox.good.  If somehow a spam got in there I
"S-x" on the mail.  My spam-exit-processor in mail/Inbox.good is set
to Spam: bogofitler, so bogofilter is trained on the bad mail and then
it is moved to mail/junk.

I scan over mail/junk.  Everything is marked as spam ("$").  If I see
something that is not spam I tick it ("!") and quit the group.
Bogofilter is trained on the ham and then it is moved to
mail/Inbox.good.

I think this is the simplest set up possible.  Its how Netscape and
Apple's mail works.

More complicated setups occur if you want to train bogofilter (or
other software) offline.  i.e. you run a cron job that runs
bogofilter on the contents of your "Ham" folder.  i.e. you have an
IMAP server where you can run bogofilter, and you run procmail over
there, but you need a mechanism to communicate with it from the local
machine where you run gnus.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/