* mail groups--re-count messages?
@ 1997-02-06 17:03 John Palmieri
From: John Palmieri @ 1997-02-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

First, here's my configuration:
   Gnus v5.4.11; nntp 5.0; nndoc 1.0; nnbabyl 1.0; nnfolder 1.0
   GNU Emacs 19.34.1 (sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3, X toolkit)

I use gnus to read my mail, with the nnbabyl backend.  After doing
this for several months, I have mail groups which gnus thinks have
hundreds of messages, but which have very few unexpired messages.
This situation (I think) makes certain operations slow, and I'm
wondering how to tell gnus how many messages there are in each group.

For example, I have the following as part of my nnmail-split-methods:
        ("mail.gnus" "ding-request\\|ding-announce")
While I cherish just about all of the messages from these lists, I
occasionally expire one or two of them.  Now, suppose I want a list of
all the messages in that mail group.  I select the group, and I am
told that there are 787 messages; how many do I want to get?  I hit
RET to ask for all of them, and (since many of them have expired) I
end up with a summary buffer showing 58 articles.  The problem is,
there is quite a noticeable delay while it loads those 58 articles
(saying things like "nnbabyl: Receiving headers (53%)").

How can I speed this up?

--
John H. Palmieri
Department of Mathematics, M.I.T.

* Re: mail groups--re-count messages?
@ 1997-02-08  9:26 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-08  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Palmieri <palmieri@math.mit.edu> writes:

> How can I speed this up?

Move the articles to the group from which they came.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: mail groups--re-count messages?
@ 1997-02-10 16:23   ` John Palmieri
From: John Palmieri @ 1997-02-10 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> John Palmieri <palmieri@math.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > I select the group mail.gnus, and I am
> > told that there are 787 messages; how many do I want to get?  I hit
> > RET to ask for all of them, and (since many of them have expired) I
> > end up with a summary buffer showing 58 articles.  The problem is,
> > there is quite a noticeable delay while it loads those 58 articles
> > (saying things like "nnbabyl: Receiving headers (53%)").
> >
> > How can I speed this up?
>
> Move the articles to the group from which they came.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this.  The problematic articles
are the ones that have already expired, and I don't know how to move
those to any other newsgroup.  As far as the as-yet-unexpired
articles, what good does it do to move those anywhere?  Or are you
saying that, in the future, if I want to avoid this problem, I should
move the articles to a different group rather than expiring them in
the current one?

--
John H. Palmieri
Department of Mathematics, M.I.T.
palmieri@math.mit.edu
http://www-math.mit.edu/~palmieri/

* Re: mail groups--re-count messages?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Palmieri <palmieri@math.mit.edu> writes:

> Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by this.  The problematic articles
> are the ones that have already expired, and I don't know how to move
> those to any other newsgroup.  As far as the as-yet-unexpired
> articles, what good does it do to move those anywhere?  Or are you
> saying that, in the future, if I want to avoid this problem, I should
> move the articles to a different group rather than expiring them in
> the current one?

No -- to remove gaps (resulting from expired articles and so on), you
can move all the articles to the group they're already in.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen