* Acronym expansion caveats
@ 1997-01-14 17:37 luis fernandes
From: luis fernandes @ 1997-01-14 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've not been following the AE thread but I had some thoughts on the
matter last night (excuse me if this has already been discussed).

(One assumption I have made is that there is a function that expands
all the acronyms in a buffer).

1) When someone's post is cited in a follow-up, acronyms in the cited
   text should not be expanded; i.e. the original author's post
   should be reproduced verbatim.

2) What happens when an acronym has two possiblities; e.g. CGI, in
   the www newsgroups is "Common Gateway Interface", and "Computer
   Generated Imagery" in the visual-effects/computer graphics
   newsgroups.

* Re: Acronym expansion caveats
@ 1997-01-15  1:10 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-15  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

elf@ee.ryerson.ca (luis fernandes) writes:

> I've not been following the AE thread but I had some thoughts on the
> matter last night (excuse me if this has already been discussed).
>
> (One assumption I have made is that there is a function that expands
> all the acronyms in a buffer).

I don't think anybody has suggested that -- the ae things are meant
for interactive usage only, since it takes a while to get a response
from the web server for each acronym.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen