From: Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Red Gnus v0.1 is released
Date: 30 Jul 1996 20:25:59 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <w8sk9vl8nes.fsf@hler.ifi.uio.no>,
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> .... and we're off.

Yay!

I had to move some stuff around in gnus-load.el to get it to compile
on XEmacs.  Silly patch enclosed.

gnus-startup-hook runs somewhat earlier than before, in the sense that
various keymaps aren't defined at the time it's run.  This causes
bbdb-insinuate-gnus to bomb out.  My hack was to require gnus-sum in
gnus-start.el.  This is unsatisfactory, however, coz I like the fact
that stuff isn't loaded until needed (not that GNUS is very useful w/o
a summary buffer, but I prefer the load time cost spread over various
user drivern activities).

How about defvaring all keymaps to empty keymaps in gnus-start or
someplace equally early and having the actual keymap setup code
checking to see if an entry already exists bwefore adding one?

Quick note on what I assume in the new async nntp (I'll look at it
after my netrek INL game :-): it seems to be doing readahead on
articles in the next visited group...very cool, if so.

But, this can cause problems if you do something that requires
bandwidth in itself (for instance, hitting "g" locks me up solid coz
my PPP link is being used for the async fetch -- the b/w won't even be
shared well coz the SYN's will take a longish time to get through to
establish the new connection).  Maybe some kind of scheduler or
limiter for the async stuff?  Hmm, maybe just using one connection for
all NNTP I/O would suffice since this would serialize requests
automatically, all that'd be needed is intelligent prioritized
scheduling (with preemption based on priority) of commands over that
one link.

(I'm not complaining at all, I -love- having my PPP line used -all-
the time.)

Back to the red beast,
-Sudish

diff -c /home/sj/xemacs/site-lisp/ding/lisp/gnus-load.el~ /home/sj/xemacs/site-lisp/ding/lisp/gnus-load.el
*** /home/sj/xemacs/site-lisp/ding/lisp/gnus-load.el~	Tue Jul 30 20:25:25 1996
--- /home/sj/xemacs/site-lisp/ding/lisp/gnus-load.el	Tue Jul 30 20:25:25 1996
***************
*** 101,106 ****
--- 101,116 ----
  There is a lot more to know about select methods and virtual servers -
  see the manual for details.")

+ (defvar gnus-secondary-select-methods nil
+   "*A list of secondary methods that will be used for reading news.
+ This is a list where each element is a complete select method (see
+ `gnus-select-method').
+
+ If, for instance, you want to read your mail with the nnml backend,
+ you could set this variable:
+
+ (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml \"\")))")
+
  (defvar gnus-message-archive-method
    `(nnfolder
      "archive"
***************
*** 136,151 ****
  However, you may wish to store the message on some other server.  In
  that case, just return a fully prefixed name of the group --
  \"nnml+private:mail.misc\", for instance.")
-
- (defvar gnus-secondary-select-methods nil
-   "*A list of secondary methods that will be used for reading news.
- This is a list where each element is a complete select method (see
- `gnus-select-method').
-
- If, for instance, you want to read your mail with the nnml backend,
- you could set this variable:
-
- (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml \"\")))")

  (defvar gnus-backup-default-subscribed-newsgroups
    '("news.announce.newusers" "news.groups.questions" "gnu.emacs.gnus")
--- 146,151 ----