* Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-12 14:28 Dr. Pete Gieser
From: Dr. Pete Gieser @ 1996-07-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've got Gnus 5.2.24 running on XEmacs 19.14, (RS6000) and wonder
why sometimes when it starts it connects to the server and brings
up my list of subscribed groups and sometimes it just sits there
with the logo until I manually press "l".  I can't determine the
pattern for when it hangs.  Is there something I can specify which
will guarantee a connection?

Pete
--

Peter Gieser, Ph.D.                    Phone:  (352) 392-5198 ext. 443
POG Statistical Office                 FAX:    (352) 392-8162

                 * Send me email to receive my PGP public key *

* Re: Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-12 16:03 ` Michael Lamoureux
From: Michael Lamoureux @ 1996-07-12 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

 "pete" == Pete Gieser <pete@pog.ufl.edu> writes:

pete> sometimes when it starts it connects to the server and brings up
pete> my list of subscribed groups and sometimes it just sits there
pete> with the logo until I manually press "l".

Actually, just about any keystroke will allow it to continue...

(but I don't know why it hangs either)

fyi,
Michael

* Re: Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-13  4:44   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-07-13  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dr. Pete Gieser, ding

Michael>  "pete" == Pete Gieser <pete@pog.ufl.edu> writes:
pete> sometimes when it starts it connects to the server and brings up
pete> my list of subscribed groups and sometimes it just sits there
pete> with the logo until I manually press "l".

Michael> Actually, just about any keystroke will allow it to continue...

Michael> (but I don't know why it hangs either)

Have you verified (as per the directions in the XEmacs FAQ Q2.1.14)
that your SIGIO is working correctly?  That would be my best guess as
to what the problem is.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-14 13:52 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-14 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dr. Pete Gieser" <pete@pog.ufl.edu> writes:

> I've got Gnus 5.2.24 running on XEmacs 19.14, (RS6000) and wonder
> why sometimes when it starts it connects to the server and brings
> up my list of subscribed groups and sometimes it just sits there
> with the logo until I manually press "l".  I can't determine the
> pattern for when it hangs.  Is there something I can specify which
> will guarantee a connection?

You mean it just displays the logo and then returns to the command
loop and you can issue any commands?  That's odd.  Look in the
" *Message-Log*" buffer and see whether any messages were flashed at
you.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-14 15:45   ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1996-07-14 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <w8s91cnq6wi.fsf@hler.ifi.uio.no>,
Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> You mean it just displays the logo and then returns to the command
> loop and you can issue any commands?  That's odd.

No.  On XEmacs 19.14, GNUS can hang after displaying the (awesome)
logo.  XEmacs wakes up on any keypress or mouse activity and GNUS will
then connect to the server.  This is very much an XEmacs bug, it
occurs outside of GNUS as well.  IM-ignorant-O, it's hanging inside a
sit-for (or the equivalent).

You can avoid the hang by pressing another key immediately after
starting GNUS, but then you lose the logo screen coz the redisplay's
skipped on pending input.  Since the logo was one of the things that
prompted me to switch to XEmacs (honest, it's so mysteriously cool :-)
it's kinda hard to forgo viewing it.

Hmm, I recall some discussion way back about how the logo ate too many
colors.  Does anyone have that version of the logo?  I'd like to look
at it.

Hmm, can XEmacs put glyphs inside the modeline?  If so, a tiny version
in the modeline for GNUS buffers would rock.  As would modifying the
icon for an iconified GNUS buffer.

Completely unrelated:  How about not converting smilies that are at the
beginning of non-empty (other than the smiley itself) lines?  Too many
people use `:' as a quoting prefix.

Of course, another approach would be to extend gnus-cite to replace
recognized cite prefixes by a unique pixmap.  Add a "unsmiley" command
and things would be cool even when stuff like patches are viewed.

-Sudish

* Re: Gnus startup
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-14 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

> Hmm, I recall some discussion way back about how the logo ate too many
> colors.  Does anyone have that version of the logo?  I'd like to look
> at it.

All versions of the logo can be found under
<URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/sgnus/etc/>.

> Hmm, can XEmacs put glyphs inside the modeline?  If so, a tiny version
> in the modeline for GNUS buffers would rock.

That would be very nice.  It wasn't possible in XEmacs 19.13, but
perhaps it's possible now?  I'll have a look.

> Of course, another approach would be to extend gnus-cite to replace
> recognized cite prefixes by a unique pixmap.

Hey -- one could insert lots of xface/picons at the beginning of the
lines...  Nah.

> Add a "unsmiley" command and things would be cool even when stuff
> like patches are viewed.

Yup.

@ 1996-07-14 18:37     ` Jehangir K. Tajik
From: Jehangir K. Tajik @ 1996-07-14 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Michael>  "pete" == Pete Gieser <pete@pog.ufl.edu> writes:
> pete> sometimes when it starts it connects to the server and brings up
> pete> my list of subscribed groups and sometimes it just sits there
> pete> with the logo until I manually press "l".
>
> Michael> Actually, just about any keystroke will allow it to continue...
>
> Michael> (but I don't know why it hangs either)
>
> Have you verified (as per the directions in the XEmacs FAQ Q2.1.14)
> that your SIGIO is working correctly?  That would be my best guess as
> to what the problem is.

I have have been experiencing this too (Solaris 2.5, XEmacs 19.14,
gnus-5.2.25). I verified that SIGIO is working correctly (at least in
my case) using the test outlined in the XEmacs FAQ:

    2.SIGIO is broken on your system, but BROKEN_SIGIO isn't defined.

	To test #2, try executing

	(while t)

	from the *scratch* buffer. If C-g doesn't interrupt, then
	you're seeing #2.

C-g did interrupt the loop when I tried this. What would be best to
check/try next?

Jehangir

--
Jehangir K. Tajik                                       Phone: 319-356-1381
Division of Physiologic Imaging                           FAX: 319-356-1503

* Re: Gnus startup
@ 1996-07-15  2:31       ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-07-15  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
>Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:

>> Hmm, can XEmacs put glyphs inside the modeline?  If so, a tiny version
>> in the modeline for GNUS buffers would rock.
>
>That would be very nice.  It wasn't possible in XEmacs 19.13, but
>perhaps it's possible now?  I'll have a look.

  You can with 19.14 - I can whip up the sample code, but you can look at
..../lisp/prim/modeline.el for some examples.

-Bill P.

* Re: Gnus startup
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-15 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Perry <wmperry@spry.com> writes:

>   You can with 19.14 - I can whip up the sample code, but you can look at
> ..../lisp/prim/modeline.el for some examples.

Right.  Then I'll be adding a tiny gnu head to the mode lines instead
of "Gnus:", I think.  Well, if I like how that looks.

* Re: Gnus startup
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

William Perry <wmperry@spry.com> writes:

>   You can with 19.14 - I can whip up the sample code, but you can look at
> ..../lisp/prim/modeline.el for some examples.

The only way to display a glyph is to use the
annotation/set-extent-{begin,end}-glyph thingies, right?  But it seems
to me that the extents used for these things have to be in some
buffer, while the modeline extents typically have been created as
`(make-extent nil nil)'.  I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding
something fundamental here...

@ 1996-07-18 21:41           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-18 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

>  I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding > something fundamental
>  here...

Never mind.  You just insert a glyph into the `modeline-format' list.

@ 1996-07-18 22:06           ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-07-18 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> William Perry <wmperry@spry.com> writes:
>
> >   You can with 19.14 - I can whip up the sample code, but you can look at
> > ..../lisp/prim/modeline.el for some examples.
>
> The only way to display a glyph is to use the
> annotation/set-extent-{begin,end}-glyph thingies, right?  But it seems
> to me that the extents used for these things have to be in some
> buffer, while the modeline extents typically have been created as
> `(make-extent nil nil)'.  I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding
> something fundamental here...

  you can attach a glyph to a portion of the modeline by making a
portion of it a cons cell of (glyph . string), like:

(setq modeline-format (list (cons (make-glyph "woman") "foo")))

sorry I waswn't a little clearer earlier.

-bill P.