From: Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Red GNUS suggestion: pseudo Xref: handling w/o NOV support.
Date: 19 Jun 1996 09:29:41 -0700	[thread overview]

Lars> Sudish Joseph <sudish@mindspring.com> writes:
>> My news admin pointed out a good reason for not having Xref: full in
>> their overview.fmt.  The vast majority of their clients use PC-based
>> readers and none of those readers support xref handling.

Lars> The drawback here is (of course) that such an approach wouldn't work
Lars> if you read one article in one session and the other copy of the
Lars> article in another session.  We could write the list of Message-IDs
Lars> already seen to a file, but that file would grow rather big...

Another approach would appear to be making use of the XHDR XREF
command if available.  This would require issuing two commands instead
of one when getting the overview, and merging the information
returned, but should still be faster than the alternatives.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.