* coding problem using smtp gmail (should use quoted-printable)
@ 2012-12-10 15:06 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I am using gmails smtp server to send mail.
Consider the following example

¡Hola Uwe!

This is displayed fine in gnus and thunderbird. However when
reading it with gmails web interface it is displayed as:

ĄHola Uwe!

Gmail offers my 2 coding option:

Outgoing message encoding:
Learn more
	Use default text encoding for outgoing messages
	Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages

However in  both cases not non ascii is not correctly
displayed.

Now I tried out seamonkey (thunderbird), sending format is
quoted-printable  and then everything is fine. When I
deactivate the quoted printable option, I face the same
problem. Which makes me believe I should use
quoted-printable as well in gnus. However I cannot see any
relevant variable.

I set via customize
((iso-2022-jp . 7bit) (iso-2022-jp-2 . 7bit) (utf-16
. base64)
(utf-16be . base64) (utf-16le . base64)
(iso-8859-15 . quoted-printable)
(iso-8859-1\  . quoted-printable))

But it did not help, transfer coding continues with 8bit.

What can I do?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: coding problem using smtp gmail (should use quoted-printable)
@ 2012-12-10 19:14 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-12-10 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> (iso-8859-1\  . quoted-printable))
             ^

Are you sure you want that backslash?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: coding problem using smtp gmail (should use quoted-printable)
@ 2012-12-10 21:46   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-12-10 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Andreas" == Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
   >> (iso-8859-1\  . quoted-printable))
   >              ^

   > Are you sure you want that backslash?

No, when I used customize I added a space which was
translated to a backlash. After deleting it everything was
fine!

Thanks

Uwe