* Simple lisp question
@ 2010-12-20 16:52 Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-12-20 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Quick lisp question as I dig into nnimap.el (in my attempt to understand
and maybe improve the fancy split stramash):

Why, in the defun of nnimap-split-incoming-mail, is this written as it is:

(let (
	  (nnimap-incoming-split-list            nil)
	  new-articles
	  )
...)

And not like this:

(let (
	  nnimap-incoming-split-list
	  new-articles
	  )
...)

In other words, why is the setting to nil of nimap-incoming-split-list
and news-articles done differently? Just a coding quirk, or a deep and
mysterious reason?

thanks,
Tommy

* Re: Simple lisp question
@ 2010-12-20 17:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-12-20 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tommy Kelly <tommy.kelly@verilab.com> writes:

> In other words, why is the setting to nil of nimap-incoming-split-list
> and news-articles done differently? Just a coding quirk, or a deep and
> mysterious reason?

To the compiler, it's the same, but some people prefer to bind stuff
explicitly to nil, if nil is what the variable is supposed to be, as
opposed to implicitly binding it to nil to signal that it's going to get
its real value further ahead.

So it's a style issue.