From: Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Automatically marking Gcc's as SEEN in nnimap
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 17:30:07 -0500	[thread overview]

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
> Thanks for testing. If no one objects, I'll commit this patch.

Well, I certainly don't object! :)

Thanks.

>> There's another related issue, however.  When I do a
>> `gnus-group-catchup-current' on any nnimap-based group that is accessed
>> via my primary server, none of the un-SEEN articles get marked as SEEN.
>> This works fine for my nnimap-based groups accessed through one of my
>> secondary servers.
>>
>> [ ... ]
>
> Works for me. You can enable IMAP logging (by setting imap-log) and see
> if catching up produces commands like
>
> 3365 UID STORE 5031 +FLAGS (\Seen)

Yes, I do see this in the *imap-log* buffer after issuing a
`gnus-group-catchup-current' command. Here are the entries that got
written to *imap-log* during the course of an invocation of that
command:

  1236 NOOP
  1236 OK NOOP completed.
  1237 UID STORE 3892 +FLAGS (\Seen)
  * 3296 FETCH (UID 3892 FLAGS (\Seen))
  1237 OK Store completed.

Furthermore, immediately after this command completes, the articles seem
to be marked as SEEN (or at least they are not flagged as unread/unseen
in the *Summary* buffer).  However, if I then run a
`gnus-group-get-new-news', the unread/unseen mark returns, and I can
only make it go away by actually reading the article.

This only occurs for my primary nnimap back end. For the secondaries,
the same sort of stuff gets written into *imap-log* (see below), but the
unread/unseen mark doesn't return after `gnus-group-get-new-news'.

Here's what got stored during `gnus-group-catchup-current' on a
secondary nnimap group:

  1780 NOOP
  1780 OK NOOP completed.
  1781 UID STORE 1874 +FLAGS (\Seen)
  * 37 FETCH (UID 1874 FLAGS (\Seen))
  1781 OK Store completed.

Could it be that some sort of local marks (local to gnus) don't get
properly changed from un-SEEN to SEEN when I do
`gnus-group-catchup-current' on a primary nnimap group, and could these
local marks somehow get re-propagated back to the IMAP server during
`gnus-group-get-new-news'?

That's just a shot in the dark, however.

> If not, eval the following
>
> (add-hook 'gnus-group-catchup-group-hook
> 	  (lambda () (message "catch up: %s" gnus-newsgroup-name)))
>
> and look at the group name in the message buffer after you have catched
> up. For groups from the primary back end, you should just see the group
> name without any prefix like "nnimap+SERVER:".

I added this hook and re-ran `gnus-group-catchup-current', and I indeed
see the newsgroup name in the message buffer without any
`nnimap+SERVER:' prefix.

And I double-checked: this is definitely a group that is managed by my
nnimap primary back end.

For the secondary back end, this hook causes `nnimap+SERVER:groupname' to
be written in the message buffer.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com