From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro>
Subject: Re: spam filtering setup
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:19:56 -0500	[thread overview]

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 18:46:27 +0300 Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> wrote:

C> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 12:31:45 +0300 Cezar <cezar@mixandgo.ro> wrote:
>>
C> I have read the manual a few times by now but I still can't make my
C> gnus filter spam and I don't know what am I doing wrong.
>>
C> The problem is I still get a lot of spam and think filtering doesn't
C> actually happen.
>>
>> Your setup looks OK, but I would use the latest Gnus from CVS, it's
>> quite stable and has many improvements.
>>
>> Make sure your bogofilter database is working.  Filter a few spam
>> messages through it to see what it thinks.  If it is passing spam
>> through, there's not much spam.el will do about it.  Gnus will just rely
>> on bogofilter (when spam-use-bogofilter is set) to decide what's spam
>> and what isn't.

C> How can I do that ? How can I test if bogofilter is doing it's job ?

Read the Bogofilter documentation.  Basically you have to take a message
and pipe it into Bogofilter.  From Gnus you can go to an article (AKA
message) and type

M-: (spam-check-bogofilter)

and that should show you the article's score.  But I would check from
the command line first, so you're sure that if something unexpected
happens it's not because Bogofilter is misconfigured.

Note your reply went only to me.  It should go to the Gnus mailing list
so a) others can comment if I'm wrong, and b) it will be saved in the
mailing list archives.

Thanks
Ted