* Re2: Long subjects
@ 1995-11-30 15:17 Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 1995-11-30 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

|Nov 30 -95, jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu (Jack Vinson)
|
| SLB> How do you all on Emacs see the right side of long subjects without a
| SLB> horizontal scrollbar?
|
| Besides the fact that I'm really not interested when in the Summary buffer,
| here are the left/right scrolling commands that are built into emacs:
|
| C-x <  - scroll-left
| C-x >  - scroll-right

And things can be made easy with couple of new mappings.
This is my CTRL-ALT- cursor {right-lef} combination which is
real handy....

(global-set-key [C-M-left]  '(lambda () (interactive) (scroll-right 10)))
(global-set-key [C-M-right] '(lambda () (interactive) (scroll-left  10)))

Cheers!
/jari

* Re: Long subjects
@ 1995-11-30 20:01 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-30 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jari> And things can be made easy with couple of new mappings.
    Jari> This is my CTRL-ALT- cursor {right-lef} combination which is
    Jari> real handy....

    Jari> (global-set-key [C-M-left] '(lambda () (interactive)
    Jari> (scroll-right 10))) (global-set-key [C-M-right] '(lambda ()
    Jari> (interactive) (scroll-left 10)))

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.  I like Jari's bindings the
best, although the C-M arrow keys are already mapped by the window
manager.  Drop the Meta and they're almost as convenient as a
scrollbar.  :-)

I didn't intend this to be a frivolous question.  I only count 47
available characters with standard thread indentation and the standard
*Summary* format available for a first level subject.

Regards,
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Long subjects
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-11-30 17:49 ` Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 1995-11-30 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    > How do you all on Emacs see the right side of long subjects without a
    > horizontal scrollbar?

I display the subject in the article-buffer's mode line (and suppress
it from displaying in the article itself; this saves 1 line in the
article-buffer); to date I haven't come across a subject that was
longer than 80 chars.

    > (Hoping I've found a true superiority in XEmacs Gnus)
Never.

* Re: Long subjects
@ 1995-11-30 14:05 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-30 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

SLB> How do you all on Emacs see the right side of long subjects without a
SLB> horizontal scrollbar?

Besides the fact that I'm really not interested when in the Summary buffer,
here are the left/right scrolling commands that are built into emacs:

C-x <  - scroll-left
C-x >  - scroll-right

--
Jack Vinson                                                  Sunderland, MA
jvinson@cheux.ecs.umass.edu    <http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/home.html>

* Re: Long subjects
@ 1995-11-30 11:33 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1995-11-30 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SLB> How do you all on Emacs see the right side of long subjects without a
SLB> horizontal scrollbar?

`C-e' and this little gem:

;;  LCD Archive Entry:
;;  auto-show|Pete Ware|ware@cis.ohio-state.edu|
;;  Automatically scroll horizontally|
;;  95-02-07|1.4|~/misc/auto-show.el|
;;
;;;
;;; Author:
;;;
;;;	Pete Ware					ware@cis.ohio-state.edu
;;;	CIS Dept, Ohio State University			w/ (614) 292-8501
;;;	774 Dreese, 2015 Neil Ave.			h/ (614) 791-1347
;;;	Columbus, OH 43210		http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~ware
;;;
;;;
;;; Modification history:
;;; 02/07/95	Rewrote for emacs 19: much, much cleaner.  Renamed auto-show
;;; 8/6/90	Make next-line/previous-line do better job following movement.
;;; 3/21/90         better calculation of w-width in e-make-point-visible
;;;                 test for truncated windows
;;;                 added substitute-in-keymap
;;;                 renamed to auto-horizontal
;;;                 added backward-delete-char
;;; 8/13/88	Created

;;;
;;; This is a rewrite of auto-horizontal.  It is comparable in functionality
;;; hscroll.el except it is not a minor mode and does not use any timers.
;;;
;;; This file provides functions that automatically scroll the window
;;; horizontally when the point moves off the left or right side of
;;; the window.  To enable, the variable truncate-lines must be
;;; non-nil -- truncate-lines becomes buffer-local whenever it is set..
;;; This causes long lines to disappear off the end of the screen instead of
;;; wrapping to the beginning of the next line.  To cause this to be the
;;; default for all buffers and to load this package, add the following lines
;;; to your .emacs (sans ;;;):
;;;
;;; (setq default-truncate-lines t)
;;; (require 'auto-show)

;;; I've found that I only want this when I'm editing C code.  Accordingly
;;; I have something like the following in my .emacs:
;;;
;;; (load-library "auto-show")
;;; (defun my-c-mode-hook ()
;;;   "Run when C-mode starts up.  Changes the comment column to be 40"
;;;   ... set various personal preferences ...
;;;   (setq truncate-lines t))
;;; (add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'my-c-mode-hook)

(provide 'auto-show)

;;;************************************************************
;;;*
;;;*  Define Automatic Horizontal Scrolling Functions
;;;*
;;;************************************************************

(add-hook 'post-command-hook 'auto-show-make-point-visible)

(defvar auto-show-shift-amount 8
  "extra amount to shift a line when point is not visible")

(defun auto-show-truncationp ()
  "True if truncation is on for current window"
  (or truncate-lines
      (and truncate-partial-width-windows
	   (< (window-width) (screen-width)))))

(defun auto-show-make-point-visible ()
  "Scrolls the screen horizontally to make point visible"
  (interactive)
  (if (auto-show-truncationp)
      (progn
	(let ((col (current-column))	;column on line point is at
	      (scroll (window-hscroll))	;how far window is scrolled
	      (w-width (- (window-width)
			  (if (> (window-hscroll) 0)
			      2 1))))	;how wide window is on the screen
	  (if (< col scroll)		;to the left of the screen
	      (scroll-right (+ (- scroll col) auto-show-shift-amount))
	      (if (>= col (+ scroll w-width)) ;to the right of the screen
		  (scroll-left (+ auto-show-shift-amount
				  (- col (+ scroll w-width))))))))))

* Re: Long subjects
@ 1995-11-30 11:29 ` David K}gedal
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David K}gedal @ 1995-11-30 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

>How do you all on Emacs see the right side of long subjects without a
>horizontal scrollbar?
>
>(Hoping I've found a true superiority in XEmacs Gnus)

In the summary we don't want to see it, and in the article buffer the
line wraps so all of it is visible.

And you can scroll the summary buffer horizontaly if you really want
to, but maybe you'd rather toggle truncation instead.

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Long subjects