* mm-text-html-renderer: w3m vs gnus-w3m
@ 2016-05-09 19:59 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-05-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two settings?
In fact, there's another (secret) setting in
mm-text-html-renderer-alist, called w3m-standalone.  The Gnus
documentation doesn't describe the differences.

--
-Dave

* Re: mm-text-html-renderer: w3m vs gnus-w3m
@ 2016-05-10 14:44 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-05-10 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two settings?
> In fact, there's another (secret) setting in
> mm-text-html-renderer-alist, called w3m-standalone.  The Gnus
> documentation doesn't describe the differences.

`w3m' relies on the external emacs-w3m package.  `gnus-w3m' does not,
but also uses the w3m program to parse HTML.

* Re: mm-text-html-renderer: w3m vs gnus-w3m
@ 2016-05-16 18:44 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2016-05-16 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two settings?
> In fact, there's another (secret) setting in
> mm-text-html-renderer-alist, called w3m-standalone.  The Gnus
> documentation doesn't describe the differences.

A few weeks ago I was playing around with the different renderers while
updating the MH-E documentation.  The main difference that I found was
that gnus-w3m always downloads remote images.  With w3m, remote images
are not downloaded by default, but that can be changed to fiddling with
mm-w3m-safe-url-regexp.

regards,
mike

* Re: mm-text-html-renderer: w3m vs gnus-w3m
@ 2016-05-22 18:39   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-05-22 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Tue May 10 2016, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two settings?
>> In fact, there's another (secret) setting in
>> mm-text-html-renderer-alist, called w3m-standalone.  The Gnus
>> documentation doesn't describe the differences.
>
> `w3m' relies on the external emacs-w3m package.  `gnus-w3m' does not,
> but also uses the w3m program to parse HTML.

Thanks, but I'm less interested in the dependencies than what changes
about the user experience when I choose one or the other.  Suppose I
have the option and I don't care about dependencies.  Which one should I
choose?  The documentation should give me the information to decide.

--
-Dave