From: Jonas Steverud <tvrud@bredband.net>
Subject: Re: Spam splitting and multiple nnimap methods
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:36:34 +0200	[thread overview]

Timothy Brown <tim@tux.org> writes:

[...]
> I follow all this.  What isn't clear is what the 'Spam Autodetection'
> feature is used for, and/or if it needs to be enabled (in G c), etc.

You can let spam.el detect spam in two ways, during split with
(: spam-split) or when you enter a group. The latter is called
autodetection.

The reason for this is that some groups might not be fed through your
splitrules, USENET news is an example of this. :-)

In case of a news group you can let spam.el detect spam for you in the
group and mark it with the $ sign. To do so you need to turn on the
autodetection for that group(s). To do so you set the group parameters
spam-autodetect and spam-autodetect-methods. I would recommend to use
G c to set those variables instead of G p since I don't know which
values are valid.

From what you write above (and which I have snipped), I think that you
want autodetection turned on for your INBOX.

> This has all been really helpful.  To summarize and make this as clear
> as possible:
>
>   - I want to scan for spam in every IMAP mailbox I have.

Turn on autodetection for all your IMAP mailboxes, i.e. set the
aforementioned group parameters to sensible values by using
gnus-group-customize (G c) instead of G p.

>   - If mail appears as spam based on what bogofilter and/or the blackholes
>     rule knows, then dump it in a spam folder that is individual to that
>     IMAP server.  Later SpamAssassin (via spamc) will be added to the
>     mix.

Set for each group, or group of group, the spam-process-destination
group parameter to the group you want it to end up in. WARNING! DO NOT
include "nnimap+servername:" in spam-process-destination! That will be
added by spam.el.

>   - I'll also scan through this folder after it's done, read the mail I want
>     to read, mark certain things as spam, and treat everything else as ham.

If "this folder" is the spam folder, set spam-process-destination to
nil for the group (i.e. (spam-process-destination)) and mark all your
spam with M-d or S x while reading.

I would recommend you to set
 (spam-process
  ((spam spam-use-bogofilter)
   (ham spam-use-bogofilter)))
in a top level topic so you don't have to set it for each group.

>   - Spam and ham will be processed on group exit.

That's the way spam.el is designed.

>   - It would be great if that folder was 'INBOX', but I understand if it has
>     to be 'mail'.

You're not afraid of loops?

> My only real concerns at this point about the above are the
> weirdness i've seen with splitting back to INBOX and never seeing
> the messages in Gnus, but I'll bet that is a small problem.

The reason for the problem might be that you split it back to the
source. Sounds strange to me, but I haven't looked into the IMAP stuff.

--
(        http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/        !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )