* `gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable' isn't defined anywhere
@ 1998-08-30  0:14 SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-30  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

which causes things like M-x apropos gnus.*mime to fail, etc.

* Re: `gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable' isn't defined anywhere
@ 1998-08-30 10:15 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> which causes things like M-x apropos gnus.*mime to fail, etc.

(fboundp 'gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable)
=> t

(documentation 'gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable t)
=> Signaling: (void-function gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable)

Uhm.  Surely this is a bug?

Ah, I see -- gnus.el autoloads the function, but it's never defined.
Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.7.

* Re: `gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable' isn't defined anywhere
@ 1998-08-30 10:32   ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-30 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes in ding@gnus.org:
> Ah, I see -- gnus.el autoloads the function, but it's never defined.
> Fix in Pterodactyl Gnus v0.7.

I saw that.  Could you please put real autoload cookies back in and
bypass doing manual autoloads for XEmacs?  Magic autoload cookies work
correctly in XEmacs regardless of whether the package was installed
before the binary was dumped or not and both XEmacs 20.3 and XEmacs
20.4 can handle finding new autoloads files in locally installed
packages.

I can send you a patch if you wish.

* Re: `gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable' isn't defined anywhere
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1998-08-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:

> I saw that.  Could you please put real autoload cookies back in and
> bypass doing manual autoloads for XEmacs?  Magic autoload cookies work
> correctly in XEmacs regardless of whether the package was installed
> before the binary was dumped or not and both XEmacs 20.3 and XEmacs
> 20.4 can handle finding new autoloads files in locally installed
> packages.

The main reason I've put that giganting autoload thingie in gnus.el is
that it makes things easy when dealing with non-included Gnus
version.  The other reason is that there's so darn many of them that
it almost feels indecent to have that many Gnus symbols defined for
the people who have no intention of using Gnus.

> I can send you a patch if you wish.

If you think it's a good idea -- please do.

* Re: `gnus-article-mime-decode-quoted-printable' isn't defined anywhere
@ 1998-08-31 10:49       ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 1998-08-31 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes in ding@gnus.org:

> SL Baur <steve@xemacs.org> writes:
>> I saw that.  Could you please put real autoload cookies back in and
>> bypass doing manual autoloads for XEmacs?  Magic autoload cookies work
>> correctly in XEmacs regardless of whether the package was installed
>> before the binary was dumped or not and both XEmacs 20.3 and XEmacs
>> 20.4 can handle finding new autoloads files in locally installed
>> packages.

> The main reason I've put that giganting autoload thingie in gnus.el is
> that it makes things easy when dealing with non-included Gnus
> version.  The other reason is that there's so darn many of them that
> it almost feels indecent to have that many Gnus symbols defined for
> the people who have no intention of using Gnus.

In XEmacs 21 those non-persons can simply eliminate (or never load)
Gnus and the autoloads vanish.

>> I can send you a patch if you wish.

> If you think it's a good idea -- please do.

It's a good idea -- it won't effect FSF Emacs users at all and it will
work for both XEmacs 20.[34] and XEmacs 21 users and be more efficient
to boot.  I'll send you a patch.

The XEmacs 21 emacs lisp packaging code has been carefully FSF
copyright assigned so that Richard can use the code if he so wishes.