* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
       [not found]   ` <199701310936.EAA01473@psilocin.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
@ 1997-01-31 10:23     ` Wes Hardaker
                         ` (3 more replies)
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-01-31 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

RS> Is it desirable to make both an In-reply-to and a References
RS> referring to the same message?

Yes, I believe so...  Well...  actually I'm not possitive.  I'd ask
Lars or read the RFCs to be sure.  I doubt it would hurt.  The
references header is better (more information) than the in-reply-to
and I don't know if there is any mailer that uses it in the first
place.  I doubt it actually...  Gnus will recognize it, but uses
references instead if found.  I suspect that all mailers that even
look at the in-reply-to header will also look for the references
header and use it instead.

Well, in short, no...  I don't think you *have* to do both.
Desirable, who knows...

Heck, I'm cc'ing this to the ding list because thats where more
experts lie (ie, Lars???).  They should be able to answer better.

Wes

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
@ 1997-01-31 11:25       ` Per Abrahamsen
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1997-01-31 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman

RS> Is it desirable to make both an In-reply-to and a References
RS> referring to the same message?

It is very desirable to always have a proper References header, much
software can do nice things with it (like threading).  I doubt there
is any practical use of also having an In-Reply-To header, as the
software that can use it most likely also handles References.

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
@ 1997-01-31 11:33       ` Per Persson
From: Per Persson @ 1997-01-31 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman, ding

Wes Hardaker <Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch> writes:

> RS> Is it desirable to make both an In-reply-to and a References
> RS> referring to the same message?
>
> Yes, I believe so...  Well...  actually I'm not possitive.  I'd ask
> Lars or read the RFCs to be sure.  I doubt it would hurt.  The
> references header is better (more information) than the in-reply-to
> and I don't know if there is any mailer that uses it in the first
> place.  I doubt it actually...  Gnus will recognize it, but uses
> references instead if found.  I suspect that all mailers that even
> look at the in-reply-to header will also look for the references
> header and use it instead.

There's a few MUAs which uses both, one or none of those headers. I'd
go for having both added by GNUS. As everyone uses their own standard
I'd rather go for redundancy than lack of a neat feature.

--pp

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
@ 1997-01-31 15:54       ` Lantz Moore
From: Lantz Moore @ 1997-01-31 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes> Heck, I'm cc'ing this to the ding list because thats where more
Wes> experts lie (ie, Lars???).  They should be able to answer better.

can we really trust these experts if they lie?

--
lantz                                             university of cincinnati
computer systems design group            distributed operating systems lab

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-31 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman

> RS> Is it desirable to make both an In-reply-to and a References
> RS> referring to the same message?
>
> Yes, I believe so...  Well...  actually I'm not possitive.  I'd ask
> Lars or read the RFCs to be sure.  I doubt it would hurt.

The References header has a strictly defined syntax (defined by
RFC1036 for news, but is used by most mail agents as well) and is
therefore usable for building threads.  There is no syntax
specification of the In-Reply-To header.

Here are the two headers from Wes' article:

(The References header is malformed, by the way -- there should be no
comma after the first Message-ID.)

Having the References header is vital, while the In-Reply-To header
carries some informal information which might be nice to have.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
@ 1997-02-03  8:07         ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1997-02-03  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Here are the two headers from Wes' article:

Lars> References: <qk2n2tqe1f2.fsf@iptsun2.unil.ch>,
Lars>             <199701310720.CAA00587@psilocin.gnu.ai.mit.edu> <199701310936.EAA01473@psilocin.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
Lars> In-Reply-To: Richard Stallman's message of Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:36:21 -0500

Lars> (The References header is malformed, by the way -- there should be no
Lars> comma after the first Message-ID.)

Hmm...  Thats odd...  The *only* thing I've been reading mail with is
gnus, so I wonder where the comma came from???

Wes

* Re: [Announce] Mine game v1.17 for Emacs
@ 1997-02-03 16:16           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-02-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <Wesley.Hardaker@sphys.unil.ch> writes:

> Hmm...  Thats odd...  The *only* thing I've been reading mail with is
> gnus, so I wonder where the comma came from???

It might come from RMAIL, which is what RMS uses, I think.  The
problem should now be fixed.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen