* [a] emphasis intelligence; [b] URLs -vs- smileys
@ 1997-01-12 13:28 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1997-01-12 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

[a] I've noticed that emphasization is a little too dumb regarding
(especially) end-of-phrase punctuation.  That is,
	*This is boldface*.
but
	*This is not.*
The difference is the placement of the period within the
emphasization.  Might there be hope of slight improvement to the
you've-been-emphasized detector to allow for :;.,?!"' punctuation?

[b] Another display mis-twiddle, brought to mind by seeing Brad
Templeton arguing about URL parsing in message bodies, is that
	PATH=/usr/lib/news:/bin
displays as (for those of you not using smileys, and pardon the
pseudo-HTML)
	PATH=/usr/lib/<bold>news<ironic-smiley>bin</bold>
Is it possible to make recognition of URLs avoid preceding
non-whitespace?  And for genuine URLs, can smilification be
priority-downgraded so as not to interrupt a URL (perhaps based on
there being boldface text already present)?

(For that matter, can this mis-display be avoided?
	Hey, bub, let me give you some news:
It's a content-less URL, after all.)

* Re: [a] emphasis intelligence; [b] URLs -vs- smileys
@ 1997-01-12 21:43 ` Rich Pieri
From: Rich Pieri @ 1997-01-12 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
Rich Pieri <rich.pieri@prescienttech.com> | Do not use Happy Fun Ball on
Prescient Technologies, Inc.              | concrete.

* Re: [a] emphasis intelligence; [b] URLs -vs- smileys
@ 1997-01-15  0:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-15  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> [a] I've noticed that emphasization is a little too dumb regarding
> (especially) end-of-phrase punctuation.  That is,
> 	*This is boldface*.
> but
> 	*This is not.*

Yup.  Fix in Red Gnus v0.81.

> [b] Another display mis-twiddle, brought to mind by seeing Brad
> Templeton arguing about URL parsing in message bodies, is that
> 	PATH=/usr/lib/news:/bin
> displays as (for those of you not using smileys, and pardon the
> pseudo-HTML)
> 	PATH=/usr/lib/<bold>news<ironic-smiley>bin</bold>
> Is it possible to make recognition of URLs avoid preceding
> non-whitespace?  And for genuine URLs, can smilification be
> priority-downgraded so as not to interrupt a URL (perhaps based on
> there being boldface text already present)?

Hm...  Yes, but you'd have to be careful not to not not smilify things
that just happen to be bold for some highlighting purpose or other.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen