* Searchable (glimpsed) Mailing List archives?
@ 1996-06-20 18:45 Shane Holder
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-06-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an archive of the mailing list that is searchable?

As long as I'm wasting the bandwidth, I'll ask the question I'm
searching for.

I just downloaded bbdb 1.50, and gnus-bbdb.el.  It doesn't seem to
work right out of the box.  Gnus-bbdb.el says to put a require in
.gnus, but it's looking for a function 'gnus-inews-domain-name' which
doesn't exist in 5.2.19, and no mention of this function in [.20-.23].

Thanks for info on either.

--
Shane Holder                                 e-mail: holder@rsn.hp.com
Hewlett Packard                               phone:     (214)497-4182

* Re: Searchable (glimpsed) Mailing List archives?
@ 1996-06-20 19:42 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-20 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Shane> Is there an archive of the mailing list that is searchable?

The archives I put up were glimpse searchable at one time, but I got
mostly (justified) complaints about how the search returned data.  I
was in the process of fixing this when the CDA came along and shut it
down.

I intend to revisit indexing when I get some spare time, definitely
some time before the millenium ;-).  And I am somewhat wary of
inviting Altavista to index it.  How do people feel about this list
getting archived on Altavista?

Shane> As long as I'm wasting the bandwidth, I'll ask the question I'm
Shane> searching for.

Shane> I just downloaded bbdb 1.50, and gnus-bbdb.el.  It doesn't seem
Shane> to work right out of the box.  Gnus-bbdb.el says to put a
Shane> require in .gnus, but it's looking for a function
Shane> 'gnus-inews-domain-name' which doesn't exist in 5.2.19, and no
Shane> mention of this function in [.20-.23].

Bbdb has been upgraded to 1.51, and has changed its primary
distribution site.  Please see:
	ftp://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/bbdb/
for the new version.  (I made this correction since the FAQ was posted
yesterday).

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: Searchable (glimpsed) Mailing List archives?
@ 1996-06-20 22:36 ` Roger Williams
From: Roger Williams @ 1996-06-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  > ...  Gnus-bbdb.el says to put a require in
  > .gnus, but it's looking for a function 'gnus-inews-domain-name'
  > which doesn't exist in 5.2.19...

Define `gnus-local-domain' in your .gnus.el -- that works for me.

--
Roger Williams                         finger me for my PGP public key
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

* Re: Searchable (glimpsed) Mailing List archives?
@ 1996-06-20 23:21 ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-06-20 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

SH> Is there an archive of the mailing list that is searchable?

Well, there's always M-s in the archive group.  Might be just a little
slow, though.

I could try to put up an index page like I do with my mailing lists (like,
say, <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/>) but it seems needless to
duplicate the archiving that Steven has done.  I'll see how much pain it
would be.  (Anyone have code to turn a big nnml folder into standard Unix
MBOX files each spanning one month?  It would save me the time to do it.)
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center

@ 1996-06-21  0:02   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-21  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SH> Is there an archive of the mailing list that is searchable?

Jason> Well, there's always M-s in the archive group.  Might be just a
Jason> little slow, though.

Jason> I could try to put up an index page like I do with my mailing
Jason> lists (like, say, <URL:http://www.hpc.uh.edu/fvwm/archive/>)
Jason> but it seems needless to duplicate the archiving that Steven
Jason> has done.  I'll see how much pain it would be.  (Anyone have
Jason> code to turn a big nnml folder into standard Unix MBOX files
Jason> each spanning one month?  It would save me the time to do it.)

It doesn't require code.  Use the formail program out of the procmail
distribution on each message you want to catenate, something like:

for i nnml-group/? nnml-group/?? nnml-group/??? nnml-group/????; do
	formail -d $i
done > Unix-MBOX

This will also work with MH folders.

The only magic is the -d flag for formail, which tells it to be
tolerant of input not in strict mailbox format.
--

@ 1996-06-21  6:57   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-21  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> And I am somewhat wary of inviting Altavista to index it.  How do
> people feel about this list getting archived on Altavista?

Well, it is an open mailing list -- I mean, anybody who uses Gnus can
read it using a few keystrokes in the group buffer -- so I don't mind
being indexed by Alta Vista...

On the other hand, mailing lists are more private than newsgroups, and
people do more thinking out loud here than they would on a newsgroup,
so perhaps people prefer not being indexed?

@ 1996-06-22 19:10     ` Steven L Baur
       [not found]       ` <ycq4to0lvuf.fsf@fierce-bad-rabbit.MIT.EDU>
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-22 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> And I am somewhat wary of inviting Altavista to index it.  How do
>> people feel about this list getting archived on Altavista?

Lars> Well, it is an open mailing list -- I mean, anybody who uses
Lars> Gnus can read it using a few keystrokes in the group buffer --
Lars> so I don't mind being indexed by Alta Vista...

Lars> On the other hand, mailing lists are more private than
Lars> newsgroups, and people do more thinking out loud here than they
Lars> would on a newsgroup, so perhaps people prefer not being
Lars> indexed?

Yup.  The same way that it is *evil* for *.test groups to be archived
on dejanews.  I've worked out an arrangement with Kai Grossjohann to
do the WAIS indexing, and I will leave the archives robot-blocked.

--

@ 1996-06-23  7:56       ` Joev Dubach
       [not found]       ` <ycq4to0lvuf.fsf@fierce-bad-rabbit.MIT.EDU>
From: Joev Dubach @ 1996-06-23  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>>> And I am somewhat wary of inviting Altavista to index it.  How do
>>> people feel about this list getting archived on Altavista?

Lars> Well, it is an open mailing list -- I mean, anybody who uses
Lars> Gnus can read it using a few keystrokes in the group buffer --
Lars> so I don't mind being indexed by Alta Vista...

Lars> On the other hand, mailing lists are more private than
Lars> newsgroups, and people do more thinking out loud here than they
Lars> would on a newsgroup, so perhaps people prefer not being
Lars> indexed?

> Yup.  The same way that it is *evil* for *.test groups to be archived
> on dejanews.  I've worked out an arrangement with Kai Grossjohann to
> do the WAIS indexing, and I will leave the archives robot-blocked.

I would really rather that it _were_ allowed to be indexed through
Alta Vista.  There are a lot of good ideas that go through this list,
and it'd be nice if it were easier to retrieve them.  It is publicly
accessible, after all; what's the harm in letting the public access it
more easily?

Joev                            <URL:"http://www.math.harvard.edu/~joev/">

  "Marge, _everything_ is a sin.  You ever sat down and read this thing?
   Technically, we're not allowed to go to the bathroom."
          -- Reverend Lovejoy on the Bible, The Simpsons

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-06-25 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@MIT.EDU> writes:

> No one could possibly have had any expectation of privacy here, it's
> a huge list and everyone knew it was on a public ftp server. Anyone
> running Gnus can read it in a few keystrokes.

Yes, it is a rather widely distributed mailing list.  There are 240
subscribers, and several of those are mail-to-local-newsgroup
accounts.  Add to that that several people on the same site are likely
to read via nndir, and the ange-ftp nndir group to boot, I think this
mailing list probably has more readers than some newsgroups.

Still, it's less "public" in some ways, so I dunno about Alta Vistaing
it...  Should we take a poll?  Or rather, could those people who are
against indexing it make a noise?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

@ 1996-06-25 17:46           ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-06-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Still, it's less "public" in some ways, so I dunno about Alta
LMI> Vistaing it...  Should we take a poll?  Or rather, could those
LMI> people who are against indexing it make a noise?

	Does AltaVista honor the X-No-Archive header like DejaNews
does?  Not that I'm really concerned about the ding list, but some
people may be.  And, since DejaNews does archive some mailing lists
(cypherpunks, in particular), it's prolly only a matter of time before
they find us.

--
+----------------------  Tivoli Customer Support  ----------------------+
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |
@ 1996-06-25 19:13             ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-25 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus Development

LMI> Still, it's less "public" in some ways, so I dunno about Alta
LMI> Vistaing it...  Should we take a poll?  Or rather, could those
LMI> people who are against indexing it make a noise?

Sten> 	Does AltaVista honor the X-No-Archive header like DejaNews
Sten> does?  Not that I'm really concerned about the ding list, but
Sten> some people may be.  And, since DejaNews does archive some
Sten> mailing lists (cypherpunks, in particular), it's prolly only a
Sten> matter of time before they find us.

They will `find us' almost instantly if I remove robotic blocking of
	http://www.miranova.com/gnus-list/

Since the messages are converted to html via hypernews, X-No-Archive
will only be effective if I catch it and throw out messages containing
it.  Should I be heeding X-No-Archive as well?