* Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-03 14:58 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-03 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi All,

If someone copies me on a NG posting, I read the message in my Inbox
first.  Is there a way to score it down by message-id (or something) so
that when I enter the newsgroup it's seen as already-read and I don't
have to look at it again?

Thanks!

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-03 15:05 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-03 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 10:58:20 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> If someone copies me on a NG posting, I read the message in my Inbox
DA> first.  Is there a way to score it down by message-id (or something) so
DA> that when I enter the newsgroup it's seen as already-read and I don't
DA> have to look at it again?

Not currently, but you could use the registry to add an "already read"
registry mark to messages you read, and then when you enter the summary
buffer, mark any articles with that mark as read or score them down
temporarily.  The only catch is that it would exclude such messages from
the registry pruning, so you may want to remove the "already read" marks
after a month or whatever suits you.

Ted

* Re: Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-06 20:42 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-10-06 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> If someone copies me on a NG posting, I read the message in my Inbox
> first.  Is there a way to score it down by message-id (or something) so
> that when I enter the newsgroup it's seen as already-read and I don't
> have to look at it again?

Yes.  Say

(setq gnus-suppress-duplicates t
      gnus-save-duplicate-list t
      gnus-duplicate-list-length 100000)

* Re: Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-06 21:54   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-06 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

on Thu Oct 06 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> If someone copies me on a NG posting, I read the message in my Inbox
>> first.  Is there a way to score it down by message-id (or something) so
>> that when I enter the newsgroup it's seen as already-read and I don't
>> have to look at it again?
>
> Yes.  Say
>
> (setq gnus-suppress-duplicates t
>       gnus-save-duplicate-list t
>       gnus-duplicate-list-length 100000)

Oh, coolacious... hey, it looks like nothing ever causes gnus-dup to be
loaded unless the user loads it explicitly.  Probably should be required
any time gnus-suppress-duplicates is customized to t(?)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-10-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> Oh, coolacious... hey, it looks like nothing ever causes gnus-dup to be
> loaded unless the user loads it explicitly.  Probably should be required
> any time gnus-suppress-duplicates is customized to t(?)

Nah.  Requiring people to restart Gnus to make customisations happen is
fine, I think.

* Re: Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-06 22:25       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-06 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Thu Oct 06 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> Oh, coolacious... hey, it looks like nothing ever causes gnus-dup to be
>> loaded unless the user loads it explicitly.  Probably should be required
>> any time gnus-suppress-duplicates is customized to t(?)
>
> Nah.  Requiring people to restart Gnus to make customisations happen is
> fine, I think.

I think you're missing my point.  The manual never mentions that you
have to (require 'gnus-dup) in order to get this functionality.  There
are no autoloads that would cause it to be brought in automatically.
You can't even customize the other two settings until you've loaded it.
A naïve user who isn't used to grepping the gnus sources to figure
things out would be stuck.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-10-06 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> I think you're missing my point.  The manual never mentions that you
> have to (require 'gnus-dup) in order to get this functionality.

You do?  I don't, and it works for me.

Do you get a backtrace?

* Re: Avoiding re-reading messages
@ 2011-10-06 23:36           ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-06 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

on Thu Oct 06 2011, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi-AT-gnus.org> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> I think you're missing my point.  The manual never mentions that you
>> have to (require 'gnus-dup) in order to get this functionality.
>
> You do?  I don't, and it works for me.
>
> Do you get a backtrace?

No, I think I overlooked the place where it is mentioned in gnus-load
and the load is triggered in gnus-sum.  I thought it was odd that
gnus-dup wasn't already loaded for me and I couldn't customize some of
those variables, so I went hunting... anyway, sorry for wasting your
time on this one.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing