* gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 16:22 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-01 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

(I'm not subscribed to the list.)

All these bug reports:

8972, 8973, 8974, 8975

got assigned to the wrong debbugs package and hence sent to the wrong
mailing list, because the necessary debbugs header stuff was not placed
right at the start of the message body, where it needs to go.

If this is a Gnus problem, please fix it ASAP. Or make it crystal clear
to Gnus bug reporters what they need to do. Thanks.

I'll reassign the reports to the correct package, so any future mails to
these bugs will go to the right place, but you won't see the initial
reports on your bug mailing list.

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 17:15 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-01 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 12:22:30 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> All these bug reports:

GM> 8972, 8973, 8974, 8975

GM> got assigned to the wrong debbugs package and hence sent to the wrong
GM> mailing list, because the necessary debbugs header stuff was not placed
GM> right at the start of the message body, where it needs to go.

What's wrong with this message?  This is what's getting sent right now.

To: submit@debbugs.gnu.org (The Gnus Bugfixing Girls + Boys)
Gcc: nnfolder+archive:sent.2011-07
From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>

Package: gnus
Version: 5.110018
No Gnus v0.18
GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-07-01 on tzlatanov-ubuntu-desktop

GM> If this is a Gnus problem, please fix it ASAP. Or make it crystal clear
GM> to Gnus bug reporters what they need to do. Thanks.

I'll gladly fix as soon as you tell me.  Sorry for the trouble and
thanks for catching it.

Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 17:22   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Gnus

Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 12:15 -0500):

> What's wrong with this message?  This is what's getting sent right now.

Nothing is obviously wrong with that (if the blank line is your header
separator). But the examples I quoted do not look like that. Eg

I guess you somehow need to make it clear people should start typing
_after_ the boilerplate, not before. Maybe you could make it look like:

-- headers end --
Package: gnus
Version: blah

Describe your problem: <cursor positioned here>

@ 2011-07-01 17:29     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-01 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Gnus

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:22:24 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 12:15 -0500):

>> What's wrong with this message?  This is what's getting sent right now.

GM> Nothing is obviously wrong with that (if the blank line is your header
GM> separator).

OK, good.

GM> But the examples I quoted do not look like that. Eg

GM> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8972

GM> I guess you somehow need to make it clear people should start typing
GM> _after_ the boilerplate, not before. Maybe you could make it look like:

GM> -- headers end --
GM> Package: gnus
GM> Version: blah

GM> Describe your problem: <cursor positioned here>

GM> No Gnus v0.18
GM> GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
GM>  of 2011-07-01 on tzlatanov-ubuntu-desktop

Oh, I see.  Would it be better to make that text uneditable and
unmovable in addition to moving the cursor?

Alternatively, can we set a header instead of the pseudo-header?

Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-07-01 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Alternatively, can we set a header instead of the pseudo-header?

If that's possible, then that will probably be less likely to cause
confusion.

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 17:45       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Gnus

Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 12:29 -0500):

> Oh, I see.  Would it be better to make that text uneditable and
> unmovable in addition to moving the cursor?

Yeah, maybe. People might conceivably want to edit the package or
version though? Eg "gnus xx.yy broke my mail, so I'm sending this
report from gnus xx.zz". Maybe that case is not worth worrying about
though.

> Alternatively, can we set a header instead of the pseudo-header?

Not at present. I could possibly add that, but I think just changing
the layout of the report template a bit ought to work fine.

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 19:02         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 13:45:33 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

>> Alternatively, can we set a header instead of the pseudo-header?

GM> Not at present. I could possibly add that, but I think just changing
GM> the layout of the report template a bit ought to work fine.

A header would make it impossible to corrupt the message accidentally,
whereas the pseudo-headers require the user to pay attention and we need
to move the cursor.  So I really hope you could add that.  If not, or if
you can't do it soon, please let us know and I'll set something up to
make it harder to corrupt the pseudo-headers.

Thanks
Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 19:33           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Gnus

Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 14:02 -0500):

> A header would make it impossible to corrupt the message accidentally,
> whereas the pseudo-headers require the user to pay attention and we need
> to move the cursor.  So I really hope you could add that.  If not, or if
> you can't do it soon, please let us know and I'll set something up to
> make it harder to corrupt the pseudo-headers.

I'll add it, but it's depressing how everything usually comes to down
to me having to modify debbugs. :(

It will be "X-Debbugs-Package".

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 19:37             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Gnus

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:33:19 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 14:02 -0500):

>> A header would make it impossible to corrupt the message accidentally,
>> whereas the pseudo-headers require the user to pay attention and we need
>> to move the cursor.  So I really hope you could add that.  If not, or if
>> you can't do it soon, please let us know and I'll set something up to
>> make it harder to corrupt the pseudo-headers.

GM> I'll add it, but it's depressing how everything usually comes to down
GM> to me having to modify debbugs. :(

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience.  I really think it will make your
life and ours easier in the long run or I wouldn't have asked for the
change.

I know you do a crazy amount of cleanup after my commits and others'
commits too, so thanks for all the hard work.  I appreciate it.

GM> It will be "X-Debbugs-Package".

Could you also add X-Debbugs-Version?

Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-01 20:10               ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-01 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Gnus

> GM> It will be "X-Debbugs-Package".
>
> Could you also add X-Debbugs-Version?

Done (both).

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-02  1:10                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-02  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 16:10:21 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> It will be "X-Debbugs-Package".
>>
>> Could you also add X-Debbugs-Version?

GM> Done (both).

This will be used henceforth instead of the Version and Package headers
by `gnus-bug'.  I've sent a test bug.

Thank you for working on this.

Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-02  1:20                   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-02  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Gnus

Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 20:10 -0500):

> This will be used henceforth instead of the Version and Package headers
> by `gnus-bug'.  I've sent a test bug.

I kind of suggest that you do both, because otherwise people might get
the idea that they can just send an ordinary mail to
"submit@debbugs.g.o" to report a Gnus bug, without noticing that
there should be some form of package specifier, at least.
(Maybe not, I don't know.)

Anyway, your test worked, I'll delete that bug entirely later on.
BTW, it can be useful to mail quiet@debbugs instead of submit@
for tests. It files a bug but does not send out mail about it to the
maintainer.

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-02  1:38                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-07-02  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Gnus

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:20:01 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 20:10 -0500):

>> This will be used henceforth instead of the Version and Package headers
>> by `gnus-bug'.  I've sent a test bug.

GM> I kind of suggest that you do both, because otherwise people might get
GM> the idea that they can just send an ordinary mail to
GM> "submit@debbugs.g.o" to report a Gnus bug, without noticing that
GM> there should be some form of package specifier, at least.
GM> (Maybe not, I don't know.)

OK, I did as you suggested.

GM> Anyway, your test worked, I'll delete that bug entirely later on.
GM> BTW, it can be useful to mail quiet@debbugs instead of submit@
GM> for tests. It files a bug but does not send out mail about it to the
GM> maintainer.

OK, but I'll spare you this time ;)

Ted

* Re: gnus bug reports go to wrong address
@ 2011-07-05  0:56                       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-07-05  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Fri Jul 01 2011, Ted Zlatanov <tzz-AT-lifelogs.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:20:01 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote (on Fri, 1 Jul 2011 at 20:10 -0500):
>
>>> This will be used henceforth instead of the Version and Package headers
>>> by `gnus-bug'.  I've sent a test bug.
>
> GM> I kind of suggest that you do both, because otherwise people might get
> GM> the idea that they can just send an ordinary mail to
> GM> "submit@debbugs.g.o" to report a Gnus bug, without noticing that
> GM> there should be some form of package specifier, at least.
> GM> (Maybe not, I don't know.)
>
> OK, I did as you suggested.

Ted, his is great, but (as the idiot who triggered this whole thing by
entering text at the top of my bug report), I think you should also
follow through on your idea to make the top part of the message body
uneditable and to place a <write your report here> marker after that.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing